Phil Spencer and Naoki Yoshida Make a Surprise Announcement That Final Fantasy 14 Is Coming to Xbox Series X|S

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Phil Spencer and Naoki Yoshida made a surprise announcement at this year's FF XIV fan festival to share monumental news. After years of rumors, it's official that Final Fantasy XIV is making its way to Xbox Series X|S. The MMORPG is planned to launch for Xbox in Spring 2024 with an open-beta launch happening as part of the 6.5 patch release. Square Enix CEO Takashi Kiryu joined Phil Spencer and Naoki Yoshida on stage to add even more good news for Xbox owners. While not specifying on any other forthcoming releases the exec said that Square Enix plans to bring even more Final Fantasy games to Xbox in the future.

See full article...

Meanwhile, I wonder if the MS boardroom is looking like a scene from an 80's wall street party.

I'm surprised FF14 wasn't on Xbox consoles already. Honestly I forget there are console versions to begin with. I don't know sh1t about FF14, but when I think MMOs, I think PC.

Not terribly surprising, FFXI was brought to the 360 so it's not uncharted territory, and FFXIV is 10+ years old now. My understanding was the only reason that S/E didn't bring XIV to the XBone was S/E required it to not require XBGold and that MS wanted a cut of the sub fee because of that.

Sounds like someone gave in, and I bet it wasn't S/E

Yep, I was thinking between the Activision deal, the anticipated success of Starfield, and then this, there are probably a lot of happy folks as MS right now.

Damnit I'm starting to feel very fanboy about Starfield. MUST HOLD OFF AND NOT PREORDER.
Right there with you. My gut is telling me that it'll be awesome but with so many train wrecks in the last couple of years, I'm just not sure.

Right there with you. My gut is telling me that it'll be awesome but with so many train wrecks in the last couple of years, I'm just not sure.
My gut ~wants~ it to be awesome. But I'm not expecting much. Haven't really been able to get into a Bethesda game since Morrowind way way back when (ES3), so I don't have high hopes on this anyway. The premise sounds like it could be cool, and I want it to be the next coming of Mass Effect -- but I get this feeling it will be like a cross between Skyrim and No Man's Land, and neither are really my cup of tea.

With any game if you look for similarities you will find them. 100% :) While not 100% similar they will stand out. I hope it isn't as boring as No Man's Sky was especially at launch. (never got back into it.). But the fact that it had another year of development either means good things became great... or bad things became cool... I hope.

Become a Patron!
Back