NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Is Four Times More Popular Than AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX: Steam Survey

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The AMD Radeon RX 7900 XTX has finally emerged in the July 2023 edition of Valve's Steam Hardware & Software Survey, and something that NVIDIA fans have decided to point out is how much less popular it seems to be with Steam users versus green team's flagship. According to the survey, which is opt-in, the Radeon RX 7900 XTX only has a .17% usage share among Steam users, while the GeForce RTX 4090 has a usage share of .65%. This seems to imply that the GeForce RTX 4090 is four times more popular than the Radeon RX 7900 XTX with gamers. NVIDIA and AMD's flagship gaming GPUs officially start at $1,599 and $999, respectively.

See full article...

I don't think this surprises anyone. At least among those that believe in Steam Hardware Statistics.

Awfully hard to draw firm conclusions though when all your numbers are likely within the margin of error. This smells like a "WCCTech got a kickback from nVidia to post some positive news" article to me. I mean, there is nothing inaccurate about it - but it's about as newsworthy as "Sun rises in the East, leaving those in the West in the dark"

I feel bad that I clicked on the original article to look at it. I hate funding this kind of journalism. I should have known better coming from WCCTech, but I thought there might be a nugget of something interesting or useful there. Unfortunately my expectations were yet again too high for WCCT.

I'll say this for wcct at at least their articles arnt just dense with add space like others.

Last edited:
I'd love to give AMD a shot with a GPU but I'm at the point I'll pay the extra to have the most powerful one so I can enjoy as many bells and whistles for modern games at 4K and unfortunately, they just can't compete toe-to-toe per gen yet with NVIDIA. I'm happy with their CPUs but NVIDIA has been my go-to for GPUs for 10+ years now.

I do respect that they've made some significant strides in the last few gens though.

I'd chalk that up to initial availability. For like 6 months you couldn't get a 7900 XTX, while 4090's were available. The people with the cash to purchase one said f'it and bought the 4090. That pool of people didn't really grow. AMD keep shooting themselves in the feet with these terrible launch supply issues.

Honestly for me a 1440p gaming... I'm at a chicken and the egg moment. Do I buy a 4k monitor and then later the video card to fully drive it, OR... do I buy the video card now and not use it to it's full potential until I am ready for a 4k monitor...

Then the other... do I get a new laptop capable of ok gaming on the road for when I travel? Or do I buy something more utilitarian because my primary use for a laptop when outside of the house for personal use is excel character sheets and PDF file refences and running roll20?

Honestly for me a 1440p gaming... I'm at a chicken and the egg moment. Do I buy a 4k monitor and then later the video card to fully drive it, OR... do I buy the video card now and not use it to it's full potential until I am ready for a 4k monitor...

Then the other... do I get a new laptop capable of ok gaming on the road for when I travel? Or do I buy something more utilitarian because my primary use for a laptop when outside of the house for personal use is excel character sheets and PDF file refences and running roll20?
What makes you think you won't use a 4090 to it's fullest potential at 1440p?

Desktop: If you're happy with what you have right now it might be worth waiting since the next flagship won't sail until ~2025. Even if a 4090 Ti/Titan comes out in the next 12 months I wouldn't neccessarily recommend one since it'd be about year until something that can beat it comes out. The exceptions I would make is if you could get a 4090 for under MSRP, like around $1K or less.

Laptop: Always tougher decisions here. I know we've talked about the pros and cons of each strategy and its always a tough call but I'd say that one you posted the link for in that Asus thread last week looked pretty good for the price.

What makes you think you won't use a 4090 to it's fullest potential at 1440p?
Too true. There are more than a few games out there that can pull one down at 1440p. CB2077 and Hogwarts Legacy come to mind if planning on use RT max and DLSS off.

Become a Patron!
Back