Cortana Becomes a Casualty of AI as Microsoft Announces That It Will No Longer Be Supporting the Personal Productivity Assistant in Windows

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
The reign of AI has claimed another victim as Cortana becomes a casualty in the ongoing widespread use of newer artificial intelligence technology. Cortana debuted with Windows 10 and was named in homage to the AI character in Halo. Things were a little rocky at first with its launch but were eventually smoothed out. Microsoft has announced that it is stopping support for Cortana this month in Windows, although it will continue to be available in Outlook mobile and various Teams apps.] Microsoft is, in turn, directing Windows users to a suite of other solutions. One of them is its […]

See full article...

This is almost as devastating as the death of Clippy.

Though removing Cortana was among the first things I did when installing Windows 10, it doesn't sound like they've given users much if any notice. The article mentions August 2023 as the end of support.

Last edited:
Idk where it is or what cortana does in my w10 computer ,(?)

Good. I don't think anyone used that bullsh1t anyways.

Also, that TechRadar article... good gawd. Ads in the Settings app, adds in the Start Menu, why stop there Microsoft? I want an ad on every menu screen and in every program window. I want the Windows boot animation to be an ad. I wanna see an ad when Windows is shutting down or restarting. Shiiiiat, I wanna see an ad on the BSOD!

Though removing Cortana was among the first things I did when installing Windows 10
Yupz, part of my standard procedure after a fresh install of Win10. It's on my checklist.

Idk where it is or what cortana does in my w10 computer ,(?)
For me, it was usually a magnifying glass icon next to the search box on the taskbar that I quickly disabled but unless you fully turned it off or uninstalled it, it had a way of popping with suggestions or notifications. Pretty annoying overall. I was slow to the punch but have recently gotten used to just turning off all notifications via settings but even that isn't a cure-all as MS still finds more crap through in after updates.

oh in case anyone hasn't done a recent fresh Windows 10 install, it's become an ad-infested nightmare. Seriously about a half dozen or more clicks of ignore/no/not interested junk. Between all my home builds and occasionally doing fresh re-installs on some of our 30-50 desktops/laptops/surface pro tablets at work, I've seen it get steadily worse over recent years but at this point it's pretty obnoxious.

This is almost as devastating as the death of Clippy.

Though removing Cortana was among the first things I did when installing Windows 10, it doesn't sound like they've given users much if any notice. The article mentions August 2023 as the end of support.

I have never been able to remove Cortana.

It is not uninstallable, and all of the command line methods that are supposed to be able to do it just fail. Best I can accomlish is to just hide it from the task bar, but that irks me.

Any ads in windows are a deal breaker for me.

This is not something I can compromise on.

I don't really understand why AI would cause them to depreciate Cortana. Wouldn't it make more sense to use AI to upgrade Cortana?

I believe that this is what Apple is doing with Siri - they aren't getting rid of it, but they are going to make big AI-enhanced upgrades on the back-end.

It could simply be that so few people actually used Cortana, that they considered it to basically be a failure. That maybe it would make more sense to ride the AI hype-wave using something with new branding.

I don't really understand why AI would cause them to depreciate Cortana. Wouldn't it make more sense to use AI to upgrade Cortana?

I believe that this is what Apple is doing with Siri - they aren't getting rid of it, but they are going to make big AI-enhanced upgrades on the back-end.

It could simply be that so few people actually used Cortana, that they considered it to basically be a failure. That maybe it would make more sense to ride the AI hype-wave using something with new branding.
This makes sense to me. It never made sense to have a game reference be a part of your major OS interface. I don't want game bullshit on my business machines, and I definitely don't want it on my servers.

This makes sense to me. It never made sense to have a game reference be a part of your major OS interface. I don't want game bullshit on my business machines, and I definitely don't want it on my servers.
That's the other thing, I don't even know why they named it after a character from one of their games anyways. Just choose some random generic chick's name, there's Siri and Alexa and I don't f*cking know, how about Brenda or some sh1t? Microsoft Brenda. Or how about the narration voice built into Win10, Microsoft Zira? See, you guys already had a named picked out.

I've never used Cortana, does it actually have Jen Taylor's voice from the games? If so, that's f*cking weird. If they wanted to stand out they could have chosen a chick with an Australian accent or something. Ah well whatever, the feature is dying off, and what never should have come to be shall now pass into nonexistence. Good riddance to ye, bother us no more.

I'm guessing not much point in upgrading a feature that 90% of people disable automatically.

I'm guessing not much point in upgrading a feature that 90% of people disable automatically.
Also if they made cortana ai driven... I would be seriously pushing to get off of Windows operating systems more than I am today for enterprise purposes.

Become a Patron!
Back