Red Dead Redemption and Undead Nightmare Launches for PlayStation 4 and Nintendo Switch on August 17

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Rockstar Games has announced that Red Dead Redemption and Undead Nightmare, its zombie-oriented expansion pack, will launch for Nintendo Switch and PlayStation 4 platforms on August 17, 2023, for $49.99 through the Nintendo Switch eShop and PlayStation Store. Developed by Double Eleven Studios, this release brings both titles together in a single package, allowing both newcomers and long-time fans to relive these classics on newer consoles, with PlayStation 5 backward compatibility. There's nothing about a PC version yet, but physical releases have also been dated for October 13.

See full article...

Too late guys, I already found out about this:

I knew PS3 emulation on PC was pretty far along, but I didn't know X360 emulation on PC was in this good of a state.

For years we wanted something better than the X360 version of RDR1 (which is superior to the PS3 version), which is capped at 30fps. You can play it on 8th-gen and 9th-gen Xboxes, and that will improve res and texture filtering and whatnot, but framerate is still 30fps. I've really been wanting to play this game again (I recently went through RDR2 earlier this year, good game but I still prefer the first game). I had been holding out for a PC version for years (I borrowed it for X360 when I originally played through it). Now I see that with this newly announced port (which the devs said is not a remaster) they are once again sticking up two middle fingers at PC players. Well too bad, f*ck you, cuz I'm just gonna emulate dat shiznit when I finally do play through the game again. Who even knows how good the Switch/PS4 port will be anyways. I will laugh if that sh1t is still 30fps on PS4 (especially when running on PS5). They probably lost their chance to ever get any money outta me for RDR1.

I knew PS3 emulation on PC was pretty far along, but I didn't know X360 emulation on PC was in this good of a state.
Yeah, DSOG constantly posts updates about the emulators. The PS4 one is coming along nicely too I hear. However, if I remember correctly, they had a story about a week ago about MS suing someone for a Xbox Series S|X emulator. Meantime, PS3 is all but done but I haven't really followed the 360 one very much.

At this point though, I'd say it's pretty ignorant of Rockstar to not put this out on PC. They're only encouraging piracy among PC users by not doing so. I know very well the story about the borked engine used to make it back in the day but if they have resources for PS4 they could, with a modicum of effort, bring it to PC using their current engine. Oh well, doesn't really matter to me anyway since I'll probably never finish RDR2 despite how incredible it looks and plays now.

Too late guys, I already found out about this:

For years we wanted something better than the X360 version of RDR1 (which is superior to the PS3 version), which is capped at 30fps. You can play it on 8th-gen and 9th-gen Xboxes, and that will improve res and texture filtering and whatnot, but framerate is still 30fps. I've really been wanting to play this game again (I recently went through RDR2 earlier this year, good game but I still prefer the first game). I had been holding out for a PC version for years (I borrowed it for X360 when I originally played through it). Now I see that with this newly announced port (which the devs said is not a remaster) they are once again sticking up two middle fingers at PC players. Well too bad, f*ck you, cuz I'm just gonna emulate dat shiznit when I finally do play through the game again. Who even knows how good the Switch/PS4 port will be anyways. I will laugh if that sh1t is still 30fps on PS4 (especially when running on PS5). They probably lost their chance to ever get any money outta me for RDR1.
(Haven't watched yet)

Related article: https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfo...ion-on-playstation-has-one-impressive-upgrade (Only skimmed at the time of posting)

Well I was right, still a 30fps cap, and the frame-pacing isn't great either. Overall very minor update to the original game. As I guessed previously, I will indeed be better off just running the X360 version via emulation on PC.

(Haven't watched yet)

Related article: https://www.eurogamer.net/digitalfo...ion-on-playstation-has-one-impressive-upgrade (Only skimmed at the time of posting)

Well I was right, still a 30fps cap, and the frame-pacing isn't great either. Overall very minor update to the original game. As I guessed previously, I will indeed be better off just running the X360 version via emulation on PC.
X360 version uses 2x MSAA, so that's all you get on 8th-gen/9th-gen Xbox too. Runs at native 4K on 9th-gen Xbox with 16x AF, same as all X360 games running through back-compat (I assume). PS4 version runs at full 4K, with FSR2 used mainly just for AA, similar to nVidia's DLAA. Gives a smoother, more stable image, with less jagged edges and pixel shimmering. PS4 version runs on PS5, of course. You can also choose FXAA instead of FSR2 AA, but that would be a mistake.

PS4 version also has better shadows on PS5. PS5 basically runs the game exactly like a PS4 Pro. Base PS4 gets the same visuals as PS4 Pro and PS5, but at 1080p. FXAA looks even worse here.

X360 version looks better in terms of colors. I think PS4 version is too saturated, and doesn't have as good contrast. At least, according to this YT video.

DF could find no other changes between the original 7th-gen version and the 8th-gen port. Same texture quality, character models, same LoD pop-in, etc. UI elements are still 720p too (except the button icons and prompts, which DID get updated)!

PS4 gets a native port while XB1 runs it via X360 back-compat, which means the game looks better on PS4. XB1 runs this game with no enhancements, so that means 720p and 2x MSAA. PS4 version looks better due to AF, FSR2 AA, and higher res. Strange that this new 8th-gen port is only for Sony consoles.

XBSS at least runs the X360 version with 1440p. FSR2 would be much appreciated here.

Runs at locked 30fps on PS4 and PS5. There are frame-pacing issues during cutscenes though. This doesn't occur with the X360 version.

Yeah, definitely not a remaster, just a port from 7th-gen to 8th-gen, and a full-priced one at that. Not even a PC version. X360 running via emulation on PC is by far the best way to play the game, and that includes 60fps.

Apparently the 7th-gen version had multiplayer. Well this new port doesn't.

Well at least they corrected the issue on this system. Never should have launched without this support to begin with. Still gonna re-play the game on PC via emulator instead of this sh1t.

Become a Patron!
Back