Valve Launches Refurbished Steam Decks, Starting at $319

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Looking to get a deal on the Steam Deck? Good news, as Valve has begun selling certified refurbished versions of its handheld PC, allowing prospective owners to score one of the portable gaming devices for as low as $319. That price would represent an $80 savings over the normal price of entry, with the 64 GB model, featuring eMMC storage, priced at $399. Valve explained that its refurbished Steam Decks go through 100 tests, which implies they should function just as well as brand-new models.

See full article...

I only remember bad experiences with refurbished stuff, many many years ago, so I never buy it. You guys the same? Or had better?

Honestly I've found refurbished hardware to be a godsend when I was super broke especially. If it comes to electronics as long as it was ACTUALLY refurbished and not just re shelved I've had no issue.

Heck my corsair headset is a refurbished one. Just lacked the pretty box. Been working for years to the point that I replaced the ear cups because they were degrading... and looking to replace the headband pad or whatever if possible... looks like this is integrated.

I only remember bad experiences with refurbished stuff, many many years ago, so I never buy it. You guys the same? Or had better?

Legit refurbished, great.
Claim refurbished, but not actually; not so great.

I always buy refurbished if the option presents itself and it's a steep discount from the retail price.

It all depends on the details, but for electronics, the discount would have to be much greater than what's typically offered by retailers. It's a gamble; otherwise, there would be no reason to buy new when a refurbished option exists.

When it comes to tech I won't usually touch it. Things could be far better than I fear but I just don't have the time for more complications.

Everything I have ever touched that was refurbed was trash. One refurb device I still have and use is my PS3, which I got in 2009. The Ethernet port has never worked on it, the cooling fan is LLLOOOUUUDDD, and the BD drive eventually died. I replaced the optical drive with one from a friend's dead launch-model PS3 (it got the YLoD). The PS3 came with a 40GB 5400rpm HDD, but since it was a refurb unit I didn't trust it. I immediately replaced it with a brand-new 320GB 7200rpm drive.

Everything I have ever touched that was refurbed was trash. One refurb device I still have and use is my PS3, which I got in 2009. The Ethernet port has never worked on it, the cooling fan is LLLOOOUUUDDD, and the BD drive eventually died. I replaced the optical drive with one from a friend's dead launch-model PS3 (it got the YLoD). The PS3 came with a 40GB 5400rpm HDD, but since it was a refurb unit I didn't trust it. I immediately replaced it with a brand-new 320GB 7200rpm drive.
That reminds me, I did have one refurb experience that worked out great. It was a 1st gen PSone. Back when they had the better GPU but slower CD-ROM, and back access port. I think I got it at a Gamestop way back when (we're talking around 2000-2004). It was awesome and even had a cool-looking demonic sticker over the CD-ROM that said overkill. Otherwise I think I had a refurbed PS2 that didn't make it one year.

Become a Patron!
Back