The Developer of a Fan-Made Web Browser-Based WipEout Port Challenges Sony to Either Leave It Alone or Release Its Own Remaster

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
The developer of a fan-made version of the 1995 hit video game originally released for the first PlayStation has given Sony an interesting challenge. Dominic Szablewski has painstakingly worked on extracting and reconstructing the original source code in order to restore the game. The efforts for this project are detailed in a very lengthy blog where it's clear that following the first version of the game numerous developers took the laziest routes possible and continued to pile more lackluster code on top of it as time went on.

See full article...

Psygnosis helped develop the original PS1 dev kits. I miss that company. Wipeout was always one of my favorite series, and I still play it to this day. I played the f*ck outta the 3 games on PS1 (which I've been messing around with in 2022 and 2023 via emulation), played the two games on PSP a lot (I didn't care for the 4th game on PS2 all that much), the one on N64 a bit (but that was only just this year), and my favorite would be Wipeout HD (plus the Fury expansion pack) on PS3. It was repackaged along with elements from the PS Vita game (which I haven't played yet) for Wipeout Omega Collection on PS4, but this was missing features (good thing I only paid 5 bucks for it), so I prefer the PS3 release. I was upset when Sony shut the studio down after the PS3 game. They need to re-form the studio and bust out more games (which should also get PC releases).

Cool what this guy is doing with the first game in the series, but honestly I prefer 2 and 3 way more. 1 was still a good game though. I just didn't care for it's crappier control and collision physics. I recall DF taking a look at the first game and its various ports.

A cell-shaded mobile Wipeout game?! Gawd d4mnit Sony!

Of all the futuristic racing games of the 90s, this is possibly the only one I have zero interest in. Give me Slipstream 5000, Megarace, Fatal Racing, Motorhead, Death Rally, Hi-Octane, DeathTrack, etc

Give me Slipstream 5000, Megarace, Fatal Racing, Motorhead, Death Rally, Hi-Octane, DeathTrack, etc
Yyyeeeaaahhh, some very interesting titles there. Wow, you're really bringing me back man.

I always liked F-Zero. Haven't played that game in a LONG time.
They haven't made one in a long f*cking time. F-Zero GX came out around 2003. F-Zero is another favorite racing series of mine. Loved the f*ck outta the original SNES one and F-Zero X on N64. But F-Zero GX made by Sega's Amusement Vision is definitely the best one in the series. For many years I was asking for a sequel, but these days I don't trust Nintendo for sh1t. If they attempt to make a new F-Zero they will f*ck it up. They won't make one though, cuz F-Zero is one of their IPs that they don't give a sh1t about.

Never played F-Zero GX, but I did play the one on the SNES and N64. Although I played the N64 version first. It was a cool game.

I'd take the Wipeout series over F-zero any day of the week. The 2nd and 3rd games on the PS1 are my favorites.
I still play them every once in a while.

Didn't the wipeout series have smack my bitch up on it's soundtrack?

Become a Patron!
Back