Elon Musk Announces That Blocking Is Going Away on X Just as It’s Revealed That Twitch Streamers Can Soon Block Banned Accounts

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
It's a battle of the bans as Elon Musk announces that X users will lose the ability to block anyone except for DMs while Twitch is enabling another option. The feature that has long been used to avoid harassment, unwanted comments, or advertisers, or prevent the same from seeing posts by users who have blocked them, has been deemed unnecessary by Elon Musk who notified X users yesterday via a reply to Tesla Owners Silicon Valley that Block is going to be deleted as a feature.

See full article...

I use black go avoid seeing the pletboria of fake scammy goveaway posts.

Just to bring it back in a month as a paid feature?
That is exactly the idea. It costs twitter money to maintain individual blocklists plus also it drives down engagement (including hate engagements such as trolling/harassment)

So from Musk's point of view it is a "win-win" for him to remove blocks and he is prepared to charge users a premium for that "feature"

There is also a mute feature, I never used either, but I assume mute does the same thing as block from your perspective, so I see no reason to have block on top of mute. Blocking is restricting free speech, mute isn't.

And if someone is determined to harass you they can create a new account anyway. The only thing this change will create for twitch is much more sock puppet accounts to deal with.

Last edited:
I prefer the percieved function of block over Mute. Mute means they still have some level of monetizing engagement from me where as block wipes all of that out. But who the hell knows what X is doing any more. It's turned into a scam portal as far as I can tell.

Become a Patron!
Back