Samsung Unveils World’s First Dual UHD Gaming Monitor, Odyssey Neo G9 57-Inch with Quantum Mini LED Lighting

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
PC gamers on the lookout for a new king of UW displays may want to sit back as Samsung unveils the world's first Dual UHD gaming monitor. It was originally announced at CES 2023 and Samsung is now showing off the new monitor, along with its updated 2023 Odyssey Ark 55”, at Gamescom 2023, which by the way, after Tuesday night's NVIDIA DLSS 3.5 reveal, and now this, is shaping up to be like CES part two. The Odyssey Neo G9 57" has a resolution of 7680 x 2160 (32:9) with a refresh rate of 240 Hz (1 ms GtG), uses Quantum Mini LED lighting, with 1x DisplayPort 2.1 (UHBR) and 3x HDMI 2.1 ports. It is VESA DisplayHDR 1000 / HDR 10+ certified and supports AMD FreeSync Premium Pro. Samsung plans to launch the Odyssey Neo G9 57" in October for $2,499.99.

See full article...

Very interested. Nothing stands out as a tradeoff at first glance. Going to wait for reviews first of course. Is this something that you guys would review?

The standout is that it's 2x 4k, running apparently at 240Hz.

So you might get Rocket Arena, World of Whatever, and League of Legends running on it at full resolution and framerate - with a top-end GPU - you're probably not running anything else at full-speed. And definitely not at full detail.

I think this panel would be a good 'target' panel to gauge performance at extremely high resolution.

I'd sell mine but I got rid of the box. It took up almost as much space as one of our cars ;)

The standout is that it's 2x 4k, running apparently at 240Hz.

So you might get Rocket Arena, World of Whatever, and League of Legends running on it at full resolution and framerate - with a top-end GPU - you're probably not running anything else at full-speed. And definitely not at full detail.

I think this panel would be a good 'target' panel to gauge performance at extremely high resolution.
Yep and it only supports FreeSync VRR so you're stuck with AMD for using VRR and AMD+GPU+dual 4K means what you said and maybe not even that.

Here's a picture of it in action at CES in January of this year. It's VERY bright compared to the CRG9 and looks fantastic. Though, I also understand that Samsung sent a full calibration squad in to make sure it looked good and locked out all the on screen menus. Pardon my driving skills!

20230105_193059.jpg

Is this something that you guys would review?

I wish - I'll probably get one for myself and could do a subjective editorial on it, but quite frankly, we do not have the tools or expertise to do monitor reviews the right way at this time (we've been offered a few monitors over the years).

...it only supports FreeSync VRR so you're stuck with AMD for using VRR...
I've used nVidia cards with FreeSync monitors via G-Sync Compat.

I thought nVidia supported FreeSync now - at least on select monitors?

It most certainly does, I've used it myself with two different monitors (Samsung and Dell with LG panel) and two different nVidia cards (Pascal and Ampere). It's called "G-Sync Compatible".

EDIT:
Sedona_GSync_Compat_Section.png

Last edited:
Very interested. Nothing stands out as a tradeoff at first glance. Going to wait for reviews first of course. Is this something that you guys would review?

The biggest thing that stands out as a tradeoff to me is the manufacturer. I don't trust Samsung to produce a product and then stand behind it when it fails. I've been burned a couple times already.

Otherwise, it looks like an impressive monitor. I don't think I'd have room for it (that's what she said) ... on my desk. But I'm sure if given the right opportunity, I could make a change here or there.

That's an impressive display. If I had room for it I'd be in line.

I've used nVidia cards with FreeSync monitors via G-Sync Compat.

It most certainly does, I've used it myself with two different monitors (Samsung and Dell with LG panel) and two different nVidia cards (Pascal and Ampere). It's called "G-Sync Compatible".

EDIT:
View attachment 2647
Yeah, the compatibile being listed is the trick. If that doesn't show it might not work but I've heard some do so it's a gamble.The LG oleds have that but not the crg9.

It really depends. With the CRG9 , no. It was a flickering mess when I tried. Last I heard gsync compatible was best bet but occasionally some Freesync might work even if not listed but no guarantees.
If it's flickering it usually means the monitor doesn't have enough freesync range, manufacturers will claim their display is freesync and then in reality it supports like 53-60Hz or even less range, which is useless. My display is "freesync" also but when the FPS drops bellow the bottom range it starts flickering, it's not an nvidia thing, it does the same with AMD. So usually it's better to just not use it, unless your 1% lows are above the bottom freesync range.

That's my hesitation as well. I know a few guys on here have had luck with them, but a lot of unhappy customers out there with endless quirks.
I'd hope that the panel gets repackaged into an Alienware monitor by Dell - I waited for Dell to produce a proper version using LGs 38" 1ms IPS, for example, which I'm currently using - the Alienware AW3821DW. LGs version had similar issues to those reported by Samsung purchasers (and LG made the panel!).

If not Dell, then I'm not sure who I'd trust. Acer has done quite good in the past with gaming displays despite their more budget namesake; first G-Sync monitor is one of theirs, an older IPS but still has great color and the VRR has been solid.

That's my hesitation as well. I know a few guys on here have had luck with them, but a lot of unhappy customers out there with endless quirks.
Once I figured out the various quirks with mine everything mostly worked out. The HDR is a mixed bag but it is the best VA panel I've ever used, it just doesn't compare to the IPS in the Sony Z9D or the various LG OLEDs in the house. I still like it and have really come to appreciate the 32:9 aspect ratio with the games that properly support it (or can be modded to).

Become a Patron!
Back