Samsung Teases 4 TB 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Samsung has announced that it will be releasing a 4 TB version of its 990 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 SSD. Described as the "Ultimate SSD," the current series is available in two capacities, 1 TB and 2 TB, both of which can be purchased with or without a heatsink starting at a discounted price of $84.99. Samsung says that its 990 PRO SSDs offer sequential read/write speeds of up to 7450/6900 MB/s, with up to 1400K/1550K IOPS. They're also advertised as being PlayStation 5 compatible.

See full article...

Eh... I guess for data hoarders.. ;) Sad that's not even data hoarder territory.

How is a 4TB NVME drive a "Tease"?? There's over 10 Gen4 4TB drives on the market already... Samsung is irrelevant in the NVME world these days (especially with their bumbling of the 980 / 990 pro failures theirs experienced in the past)

It's hard to justify Samsung when you can get around twice the storage per dollar from other reputable brands, and even more if you're willing to try less established brands. Also for similar specs, which even if they're not as performant in real use as they are on paper, are still mighty fast.

I've been using Samsung drives for several generations now and have had great luck and performance with them. They are a bit pricey but the peace of mind is worth it to me.

Oh and all of my important stuff is backed up to one drive. So I'm not super concerned about that either ultimately.

I've used Samsung NVMe drives from SATA III and then Gen3 to GEN4 but have mostly been trying out other brands. I've posted my benchmarks in that thread we have and sure Samsung is still the fastest most of the time the others are not necessarily that far behind, at least in real world usage. I guess what it all comes down to me then is price and how long they'll last. So far, the only NVMe I won't use again any time soon are Kingston, I had a pair of Gen3 in RAID0 die with two months of use in my old MSI GT80 Titan laptop. The only reason I had them in RAID on that laptop is because MSI was bragging about its tech for NVMe RAID back then and it had four slots plus two SATA III, I used two for the OS and two for games and each was in RAID0.

Samsung used to be one of the premier names in SSDs.

Become a Patron!
Back