ProjectD Unveils the Ultimate Customizable Gaming Mechanical Keyboard, the Sleek-Looking CNC Aluminum Full-Frame DIY Outlaw 65

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
PC gaming enthusiasts looking for a more professional-looking keyboard have a new option as ProjectD unveils the ultimate DIY Outlaw 65. ProjectD is a sub-brand of leading overseas mechanical keyboard manufacturer Ducky which has partners in over 50 countries. The Outlaw 65 aims to undo the common RGB overload and cheap-looking designs often seen with many gaming keyboards with a sleek-looking CNC aluminum full frame, fully customizable switches, and a plethora of high-quality materials including IXPE switch dampeners, Poron cushioning, diverse plate materials, carbon fiber, FR-4 glass epoxy, Polyoxymethylene(POM), and a gasket mounting structure.

See full article...

Ultimately customizable... UNLESS YOU WANT 10 KEY.
Or the navigation keys. I'm fine with TKL and use a separate 10-key, but anything that omits the nav keys I'm not down with.

Or the Function keys! Man trying to use 'layers' to access these functions gets old quick. Some folks can make it work, and the rest of us have our limits :)

Just gonna say it. I despise articles about a product that don't mention a price.

Just gonna say it. I despise articles about a product that don't mention a price.
You already know the price.
View attachment 2650
Too true. I'm always bummed when they don't include the price in an announcement and it happens quite a bit. I do try to see if I can find one on a store page if they provide a link but if not it's a bummer. They did provide links for this one but neither were updated when I looked this morning.

I don't understand why people want a laptop like experience with their keyboard. That's the sacrifice we make to HAVE a laptop. You don't freaking CHOOSE it.

I'm just waiting for a non function key non navigation key, programmable keyboard with a high speed trackpad. Then I'll know idiocracy of tech is here.

I looked, it's not available yet. It's from Ducky, who is a solid but not premium brand, so I'd put it anywhere between US$150 to US$300.

@Peter_Brosdahl can update us when it comes out ;)

I'm just waiting for a non function key non navigation key, programmable keyboard with a high speed trackpad. Then I'll know idiocracy of tech is here.
Don't tempt Apple!

Though I'm down with good trackpads. I don't even want a 'hardware' button, tap to click all the way. But I learned on 2 sq. inch trackpads that shipped on Pentium II Toughbooks, that had already been abused for a few years in a combat zone.

Yea I can navigate and consume non game content with a track pad. These days throw in a good wireless controller (WHY has nobody integrated a Xbox wireless controller INTO their laptops I don't know. ESPECIALLY on a gaming laptop.

Freak that would be kind of awesome now that I think about it. I just don't want another dongle hanging off my laptop I have to pull to put it away. I'm fine with busting out a controller or whatever... but some things I'd love to see integrated into a branded laptop;....

Corsair laptops should have integrated corsair slipstream receivers/transmitters. It's their thing. It should be built in not something I have to plug into a USB port.

Windows Gaming laptops should have integrated Xbox wireless receivers/transmitters. Because it's a gaming laptop and most every port these days is a console port. Rare to see PC first.

Yes bluetooth is nice but it isn't the low latency connectors we want. I'm not asking for hardware that doesn't exist. Just a bit of thought going into the devices that are being produced for the gaming market. Seems like only the surface laptops have them built in... checking options...

Not a gaming option to be found. I remember when the books came out they had one with a GPU in the main chassis. Odd.

These days throw in a good wireless controller (WHY has nobody integrated a Xbox wireless controller INTO their laptops I don't know. ESPECIALLY on a gaming laptop.

Freak that would be kind of awesome now that I think about it. I just don't want another dongle hanging off my laptop I have to pull to put it away. I'm fine with busting out a controller or whatever... but some things I'd love to see integrated into a branded laptop;....

Corsair laptops should have integrated corsair slipstream receivers/transmitters. It's their thing. It should be built in not something I have to plug into a USB port.

Windows Gaming laptops should have integrated Xbox wireless receivers/transmitters. Because it's a gaming laptop and most every port these days is a console port. Rare to see PC first.
We really need to see a consolidation of these dongles; like, they all work the same way, why can't we have a 2.4GHz software-defined radio that uses 'drivers' to talk to whatever?

Because the alternative is Bluetooth, and for gaming anything, it's a pretty crappy alternative.

That's sharp. I like it.

If they had a full IBM enhanced layout I might buy it. I require numpad and navigation block in the traditional layout.

I'll keep it wired. No wireless for me. I don't trust it.

But does anyone know how these customizable boards work? Do I have to sit a solder 104 switches?

Because if I do, I am probably going to pass. I only ever solder things if I absolutely have to.

Though, this seems to be the only way to get the switches I want (Cherry MX Green or MX Clear) these days. All the manufacturers have moved to the chintzy lightweight switches.

But does anyone know how these customizable boards work? Do I have to sit a solder 104 switches?
Plug and play; somehow the industry came up with a near universal standard. Removal is the same as removing ICs with two rows of pins, you have a tool that grabs the ends (or sides of the keys) and pull it out.

Then put in whatever you want, and mod it down.

For reference, when keyboard modding becomes a lifestyle:

Plug and play; somehow the industry came up with a near universal standard. Removal is the same as removing ICs with two rows of pins, you have a tool that grabs the ends (or sides of the keys) and pull it out.

Then put in whatever you want, and mod it down.

For reference, when keyboard modding becomes a lifestyle:

I'm not looking for a new lifestyle, but I could easily see myself putting together one of these with MX Greens if I ever have the spare time.

Thanks for the info.

Become a Patron!
Back