Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III Takes Aim at Voice Toxicity with AI-Powered Chat Moderation Technology

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Activision has announced that Call of Duty: Modern Warfare III will launch on November 10, 2023 with ToxMod, an AI-powered voice chat moderation technology from Modulate that aims to reduce hate speech, discriminatory language, harassment, and more in the new FPS from Sledgehammer Games, Infinity Ward, and other studios. According to a new blog post on the official Call of Duty site, Call of Duty's existing anti-toxicity moderation has already successfully restricted voice and/or text chat to over 1 million accounts that violated Call of Duty's Code of Conduct, prompting at least 20% players not to reoffend and act more like adults. Modulate's ToxMod technology, which will presumably work even better, can be previewed as part of an initial beta rollout that will begin in North America on August 30 in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare II and Call of Duty: Warzone.

See full article...

I thought the point of videogames was so adults can act more like children, instead of forcing children to act like adults. But whatever do I know?

I press X that the AI can differentiate banter and teasing from actual harassment and "hate speech".

Maybe they should go with AI powered cheat detection instead. Every. Single. COD. Littered with cheaters. And they do nothing about it. There are some well known streamers that don't even deny using cheats and cronus controllers themselves, because they'd lose without them.

I don't use in game voice.

All of this, and more, is why I don't do online gaming. I have enough stress in life that I'm not inviting it into my entertainment time.

I just don't even get into voice chat in games. It never appealed to me really.
I rarely play games online, and when I do, it's almost never with strangers, it's with friends and family and people I know. In that case, I prefer to use voice chat, cuz trying to communicate and coordinate and sh1t in the middle of gameplay is impossible if you gotta type. My fingers are already busy controlling my character and playing the game. It's like playing with friends in the same room, you can directly communicate verbally. It depends on the game though. If you're playing a turn-based game or something, then you got time to type.

I have a better idea. Simply mute everyone. Made the small amount of time I played online way more enjoyable.
How have people not figured this sh1t out yet? If some 12-year-old is blabbing in your ear about how your n1gger mother f*cks horses or some sh1t, mute his @ss. It's not that difficult. But no, it's easier for Activision to spend all this money to develop some AI bot to police online game sessions for toxic behavior. I'm sure this bot will work flawlessly by the way.

I thought the point of videogames was so adults can act more like children...
I thought the point of video games was to have fun with awesome virtual experiences. This line of thinking equates video games as something that is for children, instead of for people who appreciate how video games can give us some of the greatest experiences we've ever had in our lives.

I don't use in game voice.
Cuz you're a smart person.

All of this, and more, is why I don't do online gaming. I have enough stress in life that I'm not inviting it into my entertainment time.
I've never really cared for online gaming. For me, LANParties with friends were by far my preferred method for multiplayer gaming on PC. Local multiplayer is what I prefer for multiplayer gaming in general. It's because I don't like gaming online that bots are so important to me. Always pissed me off that the Halo series never had bots. UT series, Quake series, and various other games have all had great bots, but Bungie was too lazy for that sh1t (even though they had master AI programmers over there like Chris Butcher). Even if I do play something online, it's on PC where the player base tends to be at least a little bit more mature. I would never do that sh1t on consoles.

I thought the point of video games was to have fun with awesome virtual experiences. This line of thinking equates video games as something that is for children, instead of for people who appreciate how video games can give us some of the greatest experiences we've ever had in our lives.
In multiplayer a big part of that fun came from the back and forth banter. We said some of the most hilarious crap during multiplayer among friends. An AI would never be able to tell that none of it was serious, and nobody was offended. Why even play multiplayer at that point if chat is completely sanitized or outright muted? Might as well play against the AI locally. Which I incidentally do

You are not being a responsible adult when engaging with a game, you are channeling your inner child. And there is nothing wrong with that. There are two types of people those who kill their inner child, and those who embrace it.

I love videogames, but real world experiences are far more memorable than whatever even the best games can provide.

In multiplayer a big part of that fun came from the back and forth banter. We said some of the most hilarious crap during multiplayer among friends. An AI would never be able to tell that none of it was serious, and nobody was offended.
Yeah there is no way in f*ck the AI will be able to tell. There should be a function to disable it when playing among people you've marked as trusted, such as friends and family. Seems more geared towards use in online play with strangers. But again just mute those people, don't need a whole AI whatever-the-f*ck for that. But yeah you're getting back to what I was saying before about how I only like to play with people I know. I don't really have fun playing online with random strangers. I agree though, the back-and-forth sh1t-talk with friends was part of the fun, and there was plenty of that going around at our LANParties.

Why even play multiplayer at that point if chat is completely sanitized or outright muted? Might as well play against the AI locally. Which I incidentally do
That's why I complain whenever the developer doesn't provide any AI NPC bots to fight against/with. Games that don't have bots, your only multiplayer options are LANParty or online (and how many devs support LAN connections these days?). Really f*cking inconvenient for someone like me. Most of my UT series and Quake 3 playtime for example is in matches with bots. I would have been able to enjoy Halo's multiplayer a whole lot f*cking more if that series had bots. Situations like that, the multiplayer basically doesn't exist to me, and those become single-player-only games, pretty much.

That's why I complain whenever the developer doesn't provide any AI NPC bots to fight against/with. Games that don't have bots, your only multiplayer options are LANParty or online (and how many devs support LAN connections these days?). Really f*cking inconvenient for someone like me. Most of my UT series and Quake 3 playtime for example is in matches with bots. I would have been able to enjoy Halo's multiplayer a whole lot f*cking more if that series had bots. Situations like that, the multiplayer basically doesn't exist to me, and those become single-player-only games, pretty much.
Same, the last multiplayer game I played for more than five minutes was Mass Effect 3, and that basically might as well have been against bots. No voice chat and fully automatic matchmaking based on skill. The same can be achieved with bots and you don't even need netcode.

I don't see the reason to play with or against strangers but for some weird reason younger millenials and Gen Z are all for this crap.

Become a Patron!
Back