Starfield DLSS 3 Modder Is Making Over $40K a Month from Paid Mods with DRM

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
An r/NVIDIA poster has pointed out that PureDark, the guy behind the newly released DLSS 3 and DLSS/XeSS mods for Starfield, is currently making over $40,000 a month for his work on Patreon. This number wasn't announced by PureDark anywhere, but it seems to be legit, as his Patreon page can reveal that he has 8,571 members at the time of this posting, and memberships start at $5/month. That said, his DLSS 3 mod for Starfield, which features DRM, was already cracked over the weekend, according to a post from the "FCK DRM" account.

See full article...

I assume it was bumped up by the Starfield DLSS3 Release, but will go down significantly.

I guess we can rack this up as another example of how video games can stimulate the economy, particularly when developers don't include features that players want.

What I find interesting is it's apparent that the code itself of video games today needs very little to be base line supported by DLSS or FSR. Just the plugin of the SDK. That would suggest that the SDK's are capable of interpreting the calls made and they are being made in a rather generic way that works with whatever SDK is being used. (OR.. the SDK's are written to interpret the calls of the competitors and work with their own hardware.)

I suspect this is a DirectX 12 call being made and the SDK's are just interpreting that.

What I find interesting is it's apparent that the code itself of video games today needs very little to be base line supported by DLSS or FSR. Just the plugin of the SDK. That would suggest that the SDK's are capable of interpreting the calls made and they are being made in a rather generic way that works with whatever SDK is being used. (OR.. the SDK's are written to interpret the calls of the competitors and work with their own hardware.)

I suspect this is a DirectX 12 call being made and the SDK's are just interpreting that.
I agree. The only exception is some of the more hardware-specific stuff like framegen and any of the other new bells+whistles NV keeps coming up with.

I subbed his Patreon to get the Jedi Survivor DLSS mod at the end of June. I just recently unsubbed, so he probably got $10 out of me (2 months).
I've downloaded all of the DLSS mods even for the games I don't own. I believe once you get access to the Patreon discord, it remains even if you unsub. So really it's not a bad deal. $5 and DLSS mods for (so far) Starfield, The Last of Us, Red Dead Redemption 2, Jedi Survivor, Skyrim, Fallout 4, Elden Ring.

They work well, Jedi Survivor never looked better. In fact even though DLSS was finally added officially to Jedi Survivor a week or so back, I think his mod looked better. You could select more choices for the input resolution on the DLSS, even the same as the output resolution. so 3440x1440 in -> 3440x1440 out with DLSS enabled. Using DLSS like this only uses the AA portion of DLSS. So DLAA. It's probably the best anti-aliasing I've seen yet, and part of why his mod was so amazing.

Some articles are saying that the official DLSS implementation to Jedi Survivor is flawed, but it's a start.
Just one more thing that makes Puredarks mod look good, and worth it (though it isn't yet compatible to the latest patch).

Become a Patron!
Back