Starfield Player Uses Outpost System to Create Gigantic Factory: “Here’s What 100+ Hours Gets You”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Starfield offers what seems like millions of quests and planets to explore, but some players have decided that they'll be spending their time in the game elsewhere. Hackoox, a poster on r/Starfield, has shared a few images of a massive factory that they've been developing using Outpost, Starfield's base-building system that allows players to construct everything from simple camps to links for delivering cargo. According to Hackoox, the work here took over 100 hours to achieve—enough time to beat Starfield's main story many times over. Outpost has been compared by some to Fallout 76's CAMP system.

See full article...

Impressive but I'm already doubting how much time I'll spend in building outposts, and other customizations. I'm already feeling the urge to burn through the main story and come back to exploration/side missions later on when I'm bored.

I'll probably tinker... but this sounds a lot more like Satasfactory than anything. Great to do post story when you want to tinker. I'm gonna be stealth sniper... that's my gameplay first. Afterwards I'll worry about other stuff.

I've accidentally build the base outpost - anything more and I simply didn't have the resources on me. Mostly been just scavenging as I go, though.

I can't stand five minutes of the outpost building menu. The interface is horrible.

Tab is escape, except in this menu and for the screenshot mode, where escape is escape...
The entire interface sucks. Try to build a landing pad and it horribly obstructs your view of the area. Sure, you can change modes and all but the whole thing is a bit of a mess.

IDK if the 100 hours includes the time needed to collect the resources for it, or just pure build time. Either way the rest of the game is a time sink already without outpost building, but in a good way. I think the resource requirement for outposts kind of kills it in its tracks, there are just too much and too many types of resources needed. I wish it worked like the ship builder, no resources just some credits needed to build things. The resources should only really be a thing for crafting and research.

IDK if the 100 hours includes the time needed to collect the resources for it, or just pure build time. Either way the rest of the game is a time sink already without outpost building, but in a good way. I think the resource requirement for outposts kind of kills it in its tracks, there are just too much and too many types of resources needed. I wish it worked like the ship builder, no resources just some credits needed to build things. The resources should only really be a thing for crafting and research.
He could have given himself the resources via console commands. I know I would. I haven't got the patience to deal with Bethesda's inventory systems and constantly hoarding useless garbage and looting everything in the game that's clickable.

He could have given himself the resources via console commands. I know I would. I haven't got the patience to deal with Bethesda's inventory systems and constantly hoarding useless garbage and looting everything in the game that's clickable.
I have to agree with this.

I'm having way too much fun with the game to even care about outposts. Ship building is much more interesting and I'm putting even that off.

I'm having way too much fun with the game to even care about outposts. Ship building is much more interesting and I'm putting even that off.
The game is full of grinds - I wish I'd realized earlier that ship-building was one of the grinds I'd wanted to do. Now I'm running around trying to find ships to kill...

The game is full of grinds - I wish I'd realized earlier that ship-building was one of the grinds I'd wanted to do. Now I'm running around trying to find ships to kill...
Yes, the "challenges" to be able to upgrade skills is completely idiotic and unnecessary. I wanted to do a completely vanilla playthrough, but I might loose my patience at some point and look for a mod to remove those.

Yeah, I'm already feeling some burnout from it. I've decided to take a break and go back to CP2077 to finish some missions before the Phantom Liberty release. I also went ahead and got the RE4 Deluxe edition on sale plus the Separate Ways DLC. Started playing it yesterday and having a blast.
I wanted to do a completely vanilla playthrough, but I might loose my patience at some point and look for a mod to remove those.
I admit this too is how I'd prefer to play this game. Normally I enjoy all the side missions in most modern games and whatnot but I'm already at my limit and just want to cruise through the main campaign and come back to everything else later.

Become a Patron!
Back