13th Gen “Raptor Lake-S” Intel Core Processor Lineup with Up to 24 Cores Reportedly Leaked

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
intel-11th-gen-core-rocket-lake-s-render-1024x576.jpg
Image: Intel

The entire lineup of Intel’s upcoming “Raptor Lake-S” desktop processors has reportedly leaked courtesy of AdoredTV. For those who are tired of code names, these are the 13th Gen Core processors that will succeed the 12th Gen “Alder Lake-S” series.

According to the slides seen in AdoredTV’s video, Intel’s Raptor Lake-S family will mix big cores with small cores like its Alder Lake predecessors but double the count of the latter in select SKUs. This can be observed in the top mainstream Core i9 chip, which features a mixture of 8 big cores and 16 small cores (8C+16c), culminating in a 24-core processor with an iGPU leveraging 32 Execution Units.

The chart shared by AdoredTV also shows 16C (8C+8c), 14C (6C+8c), and 10C (6C+4c) configurations spread among the traditional Core i7 and Core i5 tiers. Intel’s 13th Gen Core i3 and Pentium products...

Continue reading...

A few things.

1.) "24 cores" is a little misleading, when only 8 of them are the big cores that really matter. Maybe we need to find a better nomenclature now that these big/little (big.LITTLE?) designs are becoming more commonplace and all cores are not created equal.

2.) I'm no CPU engineer, but this seems a little backwards to me. You'd think if you are going to have a mix of big and small cores, you'd want the majority to be big, with a couple of small ones to run when the system is in idle mode. Not 16 small cores and 8 big cores. For a 24 core CPU I'd suggest 20-22 BIG cores, and 2-4 little cores for idle duties.

3.) Any word on which process this will be using? 14nm++++++++++++++++ or 10nm? Or some of that 3nm process they just bought all of from TSMC? Or maybe they are going to copy AMD and and use chiplets of different node sizes for different parts of the package?

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the 24 cores description. I knew it was a mix of two different cores, but thought at least the i9 would have a majority of big cores. Shouldn't these chips be on intel 10nm+ node? Or whatever the crazy new name for intel's nodes are...

Become a Patron!
Back