The End of an Era, Netflix Has Shipped Its Last DVD, “Long Live The Red Envelope!”

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
The end of an era has happened as Netflix has shipped its last DVD for the service that has operated for over 25 years. Netflix announced in April that it would be winding down the service which saw the company rise to unimagined popularity and challenged, then dominated, the traditional video rental business which had existed for decades before it. While others may have followed after it, Netflix's physical mail-based service reshaped an industry in a short span of time but as technology changed, so did its own business model when it began to focus on its streaming services. A timeline shows that Netflix has shipped over 5 billion discs as of 2023.

See full article...

I never even knew they sold DVDs. I guess it must have been US only.

I didn't realize they were around since 1998, but I did have the DVD rental subscription back in 2005/2006 for a couple years before I started just streaming everything.

I was a good service, i had 3 dvds at a time. Return one get the next one in queue . it was super rare to get scratched ones in my experience.

Way back in the day my wife and I had a small business processing bulk mail orders for local businesses for their customers. I remember going to the post office and literally seeing a half dozen or more of those big rolling bins/carts filled with these DVD envelopes. It was kind of staggering to see every few days as they took over the loading docks.

I honestly find it difficult to believe they were still doing it.

They started transitioning to streaming in 2007. That was 16 years ago now. By 2012, 11 years ago that transition was pretty much complete.

Who has been getting DVD's for the last 11 years?

I mean, I can't even imagine watching content that is below 1080p anymore, let alone something as low as 720x480.

DVD looked nice and sharp in the 90's when we all had tube TV's, but by modern standards, once scaled up it is positively bothersome to have to look at. At any time in the last ~15-20 years, I think I'd rather not watch something at all, than put up with 480p...

I remember getting the Lion King on DVD and comparing it to Laser Disk.

Man back in the early days of DVD/Laserdisk you could get some really cool finds accidentally published.

Become a Patron!
Back