Cyberpunk 2077 Dev Defends Starfield After Player Claims It Looks Worse Than CDPR’s RPG: “Creation Engine Needs to Go”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
What do CD PROJEKT RED's developers think of Starfield? Somewhat highly, it seems, as at least one dev, Patrick K. Mills, has taken to X/Twitter to defend Bethesda Game Studios and Todd Howard's new open-world RPG after a critic claimed that the game looks worse than Cyberpunk 2077, calling the animations during dialog sequences "outdated" and "lackluster," with "awful" camera angles. Mills, who is credited as Cyberpunk 2077's senior quest designer, decided to be nice, explaining that Starfield is the way it is because it's on a completely different scale, "mind-bogglingly" bigger than the game that CDPR released in 2020 but continues to improve to this day.

See full article...

I won't go on a rant about it but I would say that Starfield's animations are not great, acceptable but not great, and do look dated at times. Many said before release this game would have that typical Bethesda Skyrim/Fallout look and to some extent I do agree. There's a little bit more flare for sure but at moments it does end up feeling the same.

I remember having the same experience with Ubisoft games in the early-mid 2000s and getting bored with them for the same reasons.

In defense of all game developers, I'll say that I've seen issues with animations in every game I've played over the years regardless of the engine used and that after a while I just try to find the best position(s) to get them to look more natural. I don't know enough about them to critique in depth but I've seen situations with all where each display in some pretty awful ways. If I had to pick a favorite it would be The Witcher 3, but I'm not saying it was perfect, and I do like CP2077, and then also Metro Exodus. However, I've never played a game whose character animations were perfect. Recently I've been playing RE4 and while much of the game's visuals look better its animations are quirky as well.

The Last of Us 2's animations are far better than any other game I ever played.

As for Starfield it is just trendy to hate that game. I've completely zoned out when some "influencer" tries to trash talk it. It tells me more about the person than the game. They act as if it is supposed to be better at literally everything than every game that came before.

This reminds of the joke.
The bear says to the wolf :
- Hey wolf, let's beat up the rabbit!
The wolf replies:
- OK, but why?
- If he is wearing a hat then that's why, if he is not wearing a hat then that's why!
So they beat the rabbit as planned, and on the next day the bear tells the wolf again:
- Let's beat up the rabbit again! We ask him for cigarettes and if he gives us filtered ones that's why, if he gives unfiltered ones then that's why!
They go to the rabbit and say:
- Hey RABBIT! GIVE US CIGARETTES OR ELSE!
The rabbit says:
- Would you prefer filtered, or unfiltered cigarettes?
- Look at the bastard, he is not wearing a hat again!

Just as the rabbit Starfield can't win no matter what.

Become a Patron!
Back