ASUS GeForce RTX 4090 Owner Says Their $2,000 GPU Melted after a Year of Use: “Oh Well”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
How many months does it take to ensure that a GeForce RTX 4090 isn't affected by the dreaded connector-melting problem? One? Three? Six? Nope, not even close, according to one ASUS GeForce RTX 4090 owner, who took to the r/pcmasterrace subreddit this week to allege that his graphics card ended up melting after what they claim was an entire year of use. The poster, Byogore, offered the usual photo of a damaged connector, and while that's pretty much all they wrote for their opener, the post has prompted some NVIDIA critics to cry about how a class-action suit should be launched against the GPU maker. Byogore says that he paid 1,950 EUR for his graphics card.

See full article...

Honestly no video card should be melting due to a connector. EVEN IF it isn't plugged in just right. As long as it's not intentional abuse Nvidia and the AIB's should be stepping up to make these users right again.

Alright, I'm going on 10 months on mine just fine thus far. Hopefully mine won't Chernobyl in a couple of months. :p

It has a three year warranty though, so if this truly is a design defect and not a user neglect issue from wrapping the connector too tight (and I sincerely do believe it is a design flaw) then it should be covered, and I'd take them to small claims court over it if they disagree.

Most PC hardware is too cheap to warrant the court fight, but as GPU's get more expensive...

Alright, I'm going on 10 months on mine just fine thus far. Hopefully mine won't Chernobyl in a couple of months
I had my Asus Strix 4090 and a Gigabyte 4090 aabout the same time as you, and had zero issues with either card. The power draw and heat on those cards is what drove me away from them. Hopefully if someone's card does fail we can only hope this case of the Redditt user isn't what's to come from manufacturers.

Last edited:
I had my Asus Strix 4090 and a Gigabyte 4090 aabout the same time as you, and had zero issues with either card. The power draw and heat on those cards is what drove me away from them. Hopefully if someone's card does fail we can only hope this case of the Redditt user isn't what's to come from manufacturers.

I've found the hat to be surprisingly reasonable on my 4090. Yes, the bad boy versions go up to some 650w max, but in practice they never really go that high, outside of some extreme benchmarks. In game, my 4090 seems to stay in the 250-300w range most of the time, and at that level it uses less power than the 6900xt I used before it (which I was maxing out at 450w all the time) and pretty similar to my Pascal Titan X I had before that.

So far, so good, with my 4090 and 2x 3090 Ti's (I include them because they use the same connector with nearly identical power/heat). I'll keep my fingers crossed.

The whole "you plugged it in wrong" is such a cheap cop out for AIB's to deny warranty claims.
Yup. I think a lot of us have been saying this all along. There will always be one or two people who are just doing it wrong, but when you get a whole bunch of people doing it like that, it isn't that they are all wrong, it's that the product is wrong.

Kinda like this - Oh, little Jimmy got impaled? Well, there's nothing wrong with the toy, you are just playing with it wrong.

1697473710779.png

Edit

This one came up while I was searching for the above image - thought i would share. It was apparently a real thing for a while

1697473924611.png

Yup. I think a lot of us have been saying this all along. There will always be one or two people who are just doing it wrong, but when you get a whole bunch of people doing it like that, it isn't that they are all wrong, it's that the product is wrong.

Kinda like this - Oh, little Jimmy got impaled? Well, there's nothing wrong with the toy, you are just playing with it wrong.

View attachment 2741

Edit

This one came up while I was searching for the above image - thought i would share. It was apparently a real thing for a while

View attachment 2742
About ten years ago when my job was looking into 3D printing for various potential projects, my boss had me look up banned toys and I came across the Atomic Energy Lab. My jaw dropped on that one.

View attachment 2741

Edit

View attachment 2742
Atomic energy lab could be something you find in a Fallout setting game! That's amazing.

I've seen a banned toys documentary relatively recently both of these were featured in it.

Become a Patron!
Back