Disney CEO Is Being Pressured Into Acquiring a Major Games Company Like EA, Sources Say

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Could Disney be the next gaming giant? That idea may not be too far fetched, as Bloomberg has published a new story (alternate link) that discusses all of the problems that Disney's businesses have been facing as of late, and in one portion, there's a claim that Bob Iger, Disney's CEO, is being pushed by other higher-ups at Disney to transform the company into a gaming giant through means that include the acquisition of a major publisher or developer. Electronic Arts is name dropped here, and while this seems to be mostly speculation from the author, there are clearly some existing ties there, with Disney's Lucasfilm Games having worked with EA already for various Star Wars games, including Respawn's Jedi series, among other projects. Bloomberg's article includes a box office chart that shows how films from Marvel, Walt Disney Animation, and Pixar have been under-performing, while another shows how Disney's quarterly net income hasn't been able to meet or exceed the numbers it saw back in 2019.

See full article...

Can you imagine Disney Legal protections of EA IP's. Good lord... Mods for most EA games would be sued out of existence.

Meh, honestly I don't think it matters that much. These big studios can be innovation killers all by themselves.. Sure with Disney and MS they will be extra dead but whatever. There so much room in gaming, its really quite something.

They already killed Lucasarts, I can't think of a studio moreso than EA I would rather see Disney swallow up and spit out.

These rumors have been going around for years and perhaps one day it'll happen but in the meantime, I have my doubts with all the restructuring that Iger is still doing. Seems like more culling is happening than growth but I could be wrong, he could spring a surprise announcement.

Become a Patron!
Back