Netflix Has Discontinued Support for Older Devices, including PS Vita, Sony TVs, and Samsung Blu-ray Players, Users Say

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Time for an upgrade? A growing number of Netflix users have taken to social media and home theater forums to complain about how the streaming service is no longer working on some of the older devices that they own. Such devices would include various Blu-ray players and TVs from Samsung and other manufacturers, as well as the PlayStation Vita and PlayStation TV, according to a few users who have shared their experiences on r/netflix. Sony gave up on the PS Vita in 2019, while the PS TV was also dropped in 2015. An official list of devices that are compatible with Netflix can be found here.

See full article...

Just another form of planned obsolescence. This is basically as good as bricking your device, because you aren't just forced to replace it, but its resale value is gone to the gutter as well due to this.

Not the first time I've seen this with them, or others. I bought a Kodi box around 5-6 years ago and maybe 2 years in the Android OS on it stopped updating which prevented me from installing newer Netflix updates thus preventing it from running on the device. Had similar experiences on older tablets and phones (iOS and Android). Not the first and not the last unless enough people get fed up to force a change in the industry which I doubt will ever happen.

I could see some viable solutions to extend the lifespan of TV's and some similar devices but it is a form of planned obsolescence that would cut into profit margins if folks were not forced into new purchases even when the panels were still in perfect working condition.

Fire TV 4K sticks are like $25..... We have run into some other apps (I want to say ESPN+ and maybe HULU) just started refusing to work on my "old" Roku on the bedroom TV

The only catch for using a stick with the older TVs are the ones that support 4K Dolby Vision via their own apps but only have HDMI 2.0. A niche within a niche that's where I'm at with my Sony Z9D. Our crappola Hisesne that died in July was the same.

Other than that, and yeah, just plug something in. TBH, this is just the tip of the iceberg for those who want to get the best from 4K streaming. LG and Paramount still haven't made up so if I want to watch anything from Paramount in 4K or with any kind of HDR, I have to use my Shield with it. There are other issues relating to which apps will let either a receiver or soundbar use Atmos as well and I've seen that problem across multiple different brand TVs.

I know, 1st world problems but still annoying if you're paying for it.

Netflix, or anyone can't support everything everywhere. It is surprising how much they support actually. Unless there is a consortium to agree in certain things software wise, certain standars, well this is where we are at.
Out of the many issues I have with planned obsolescence and such, TVs and what not is not one of them. The panel will be the panel, and as long as inputs and outputs are standard I have no issues. TVs will have a cpu in them regardless of apps or not. Shoving an os and some apps in it is just bonus to put a smart tv sticker on it.
Now, if they made a tv with proprietary i/o ports and such, well then we are in trouble, if they masses buy into it; which they might since most just don't care.

I’m still using my raspberry pi 3 and my HDHomeRun with my cable card - been using it since 2013. Of course I can’t install Netflix on it, but I don’t particularly care - the only thing I subscribe to is Disney+

I’m still using my raspberry pi 3 and my HDHomeRun with my cable card - been using it since 2013. Of course I can’t install Netflix on it, but I don’t particularly care - the only thing I subscribe to is Disney+
OMG cable cards..... that takes me back

Dang, that reminds me. I need to get HDHomerun setup for OTA. Time to do some research.

Become a Patron!
Back