PNY Unveils CS3150 M.2 NVMe PCIe Gen5 x4 SSDs with Dual-Fan Black, White, and Black/RGB Heatsinks

Slowly but surely the presence of actively-cooled SSDs grows...

I like fans on SSDs as much as I like fans on chipsets...

I don't like fans on chipsets

I would only be 'okay' if these used a standard fan size and pinout so that they could be easily replaced by aftermarket parts once the fans start their death grind.

I've had coil whine for the past... 4 systems... never have gotten away from it. A couple little fans (that don't sound like tuboprops) I'd care less about than I would the stability and life of the hardware.

Can only imagine the challenges manufacturers, and users, are going to have with laptop gen5 drives running at max speed. As if cooling the cpu/gpu wasn't hard enough those things will turn it all into a baby nuke.

Can only imagine the challenges manufacturers, and users, are going to have with laptop gen5 drives running at max speed. As if cooling the cpu/gpu wasn't hard enough those things will turn it all into a baby nuke.
Easy fix, bill them as PCIE drives, make them Gen 3 or 4 in reality, maybe even half the lanes. 99.9% of the people will never know and never care because it won't matter when launching the cloud hosted versions MS office or whatever other productivity tool they are using.

Developers will have higher end laptops but know to expect the heat and how to run their systems without cooking them. And DIY folks will be happy with a laptop with a Gen 4x4 drive and not care about gen 5x4 drives because they understand the tech involved.

Only those that actually expect a laptop to do everything as well as a desktop will be left going.. "But it's not fair."

Become a Patron!
Back