Sam Altman Joins Microsoft’s AI Research Team After Being Ousted as CEO of OpenAI

Seems like the AI masters have chosen their stooge. ;)

So, Microsoft is so desperate to make further inroads into AI that they are willing to turn a blind eye to the ethics violations that should have been enough to not make Altman employable ever again.

So, Microsoft is so desperate to make further inroads into AI that they are willing to turn a blind eye to the ethics violations that should have been enough to not make Altman employable ever again.
Tell me more... ( seriously)

Tell me more... ( seriously)

Details are limited, but from what I can tell the reason he was fired was for lying (possibly by omission) to the board about key business metrics, progress, finances, etc. That's not usually a recipe for getting second chances.

Details are limited, but from what I can tell the reason he was fired was for lying (possibly by omission) to the board about key business metrics, progress, finances, etc. That's not usually a recipe for getting second chances.
Sounds to me that he wanted to go to MS. MS had contractual ties with OpenAI preventing them from scalping employees in good standing. So Altman strategically tanked his OpenAI position to allow him to be hired by MS.

Just a guess mind you.

It was on the news this morning that most of Open AI's staff is ready to walkout over this.

Also the allegations that OpenAI was knowingly trained on a significant amount of copyrighted material without getting permission or giving proper credit/compensation. OpenAI claims Fair Use, since it was all avaliable in public view via scraping, but copyright holders claim it's not the case since it's being used for profit.

Also the allegations that OpenAI was knowingly trained on a significant amount of copyrighted material without getting permission or giving proper credit/compensation. OpenAI claims Fair Use, since it was all avaliable in public view via scraping, but copyright holders claim it's not the case since it's being used for profit.

I think this is a huge issue for AI.

And quite frankly, I'm not a fan of scraping at all. In my humble opinion content posted online should be restricted to be used for only the purpose the poster had in mind when they posted it, and no other purpose unless express written permission is obtained.

I've probably posted hundreds of thousands of posts on public forums over the years, some of them possibly even helpful to people, and I sure as hell didn't do it so that some scummy AI developer could scrape them and roll them into their for profit product.

Maybe I should sue OpenAI as well? ;p

Scraping in general is sketchy. From the internet to whatever the heck systems telcoms use, I've seen way too many things that piss me off.

As of tonight Altman is back and the old board is out. The employees and interim ceo and cofounder all threatened to leave for the startup me was going to create for them. OpenAi would have been gutted with little to no expertise. Thankfully the old board.is out a new interim board is in to appoint all new board members with Microsoft having some key seats of course.

By that definition google is illegal also. It crawls sites and gives you results based on those, for profit..

By that definition google is illegal also. It crawls sites and gives you results based on those, for profit..

I don't have a problem with them just providing links to content people are searching for, but when they summarize that content on the google search page, that is a potential problem.

Become a Patron!
Back