Samsung Teams with Google for New Open-Source 3D Audio Technology, Challenging Dolby Atmos

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Samsung has revealed that it has been working with Google to develop Immersive Audio Model and Formats (IAMF), an advanced 3D spatial audio technology that was adopted by the Alliance for Open Media in October 2023.

See full article...

I'm all for it, but I am waiting for the catch.

Does it have built in spyware?

Does using it require that you are always online and signed in to a google account?

If it truly is open source, someone could just fork it and get rid of this garbage, but still... Google never does anything for free. There is always a catch.

I'm all for it, but I am waiting for the catch.

Does it have built in spyware?

Does using it require that you are always online and signed in to a google account?

If it truly is open source, someone could just fork it and get rid of this garbage, but still... Google never does anything for free. There is always a catch.
How does my soundbar use this? Is it required to be a 'smart' soundbar?

I'd imagine people will likely have to upgrade their receivers, soundbars and whatever hardware in order for it to work.

That's been the case with every new codec in the past.
Depends on the receiver. Within limits I know Onkyo had some updates to enable a few codec's back in the day for their higher end stuff. But yea. I agree.

Depends on the receiver. Within limits I know Onkyo had some updates to enable a few codec's back in the day for their higher end stuff. But yea. I agree.
Yep, my TX-NR646 did that for Atmos/DTS-X.

These days though it's kind of a s-show for receivers. I've been wanting to upgrade for a while now and you really have to dig into the specs, and sometimes forums, to get all the info regarding who supports what and with what kind of limitations or catches. I was really shocked to find out how many still don't truly support full 48 Gbps HDMI 2.1 despite listing it in their marketing materials or if they do it's only on one port. Maybe that's changed in the last few months but my last search on this stuff was the beginning of the summer and the ones I did find that did had astronomical prices. I'm used to spending $400-$600 for a receiver and the ones I found that fit the bill were going for $1K-$2K.

Yep, my TX-NR646 did that for Atmos/DTS-X.

These days though it's kind of a s-show for receivers. I've been wanting to upgrade for a while now and you really have to dig into the specs, and sometimes forums, to get all the info regarding who supports what and with what kind of limitations or catches. I was really shocked to find out how many still don't truly support full 48 Gbps HDMI 2.1 despite listing it in their marketing materials or if they do it's only on one port. Maybe that's changed in the last few months but my last search on this stuff was the beginning of the summer and the ones I did find that did had astronomical prices. I'm used to spending $400-$600 for a receiver and the ones I found that fit the bill were going for $1K-$2K.

You just have to buy Marantz separate home theater processors :p

(Of course it's just going to cost you about 100 kidneys)

on the talk of new codecs . . .I often purchase Hi-Res music from Hi-Res audio and I remember last spring they started to debut some kind of new lossless codec but that seems to have gone over like a lead balloon. I could be wrong but I haven't noticed more mention of it. Meanwhile FLAC still seems to reign supreme.

on the talk of new codecs . . .I often purchase Hi-Res music from Hi-Res audio and I remember last spring they started to debut some kind of new lossless codec but that seems to have gone over like a lead balloon. I could be wrong but I haven't noticed more mention of it. Meanwhile FLAC still seems to reign supreme.

I honestly haven't bothered with lossless codecs yet, other than for testing.

I used to think it was just wasting your storage, but these days storage is so large that this concern is mostly insignificant.

The thing is though, I have a pretty high end chain. Good DAC, good amp, pretty decent headphones and speakers (without going nuts) and I'm going to me honest. I have sat down and A/B compared Spotify's "very high" quality OGG streams and the albums I own on CD, and I cannot tell the difference at all.

To be fair, some CD's have very poor "loudness war" masters compressing everything to 96% volume and thus effectively lowering the bit rate of the sound quality compared to a full dynamic range master, and that can make things sound ****ty, but I maintain that as long as you have a competent 16bit 44.1khz source, and you compress it with high quality OGG or VBR MP3 using a decent codec like LAME, it truly is transparent.

Now I know the gut reaction from the audiophile types is that I just have ****ty ears, but I have had them tested over the years both by audiologists and through popular online tests. At 43 I can still hear the "mosquito tone" only teenagers are supposed to be able to hear. I even used to cringe on the production floor at the plant I used to work when the ultrasonic welders engaged, as it was truly bothersome to me, but no one else could hear it.

Still that is very subjective and anecdotal data. What I really hang my hat on is the Hydrogenaudio.org study that was done 15 years ago.

They created an A/B test program of several tracks that would randomly play back either a clean .wav rip of a CD or the same track compressed in MP3 with LAME's then setting "--alt-preset standard" (the flags in LAME have changed since then, but this was a standard middle of the road VBR quality setting). People who considered themselves audiophiles were then invited to run the program, and listen to it on their own audiophile hardware and test themselves. They were given as much time as they wanted to listed to both tracks and then had to click on the one they thought was compressed.

The results were that even self proclaimed audiophiles with high end audio who would talk all day about how awful mp3 sound quality was, only picked the right track about 50% of the time. In other words, the same as if they were not listening to the tracks and just randomly selecting one.

So yeah, I am utterly convinced that no sound standard above 16bit 44.1khz PCM is of any value for listening purposes (editing is another thing all together. There high bitrate audio definitely helps). HD Audio, DSD, all of these fancy high fidelity standards are really just a bunch of bunk.

That, and there is little to no benefit of a lossless compression over a competent lossy compression.

Last edited:
Ironically enough the place I can hear the biggest difference is in our cars and I think it's because at home the reciever's DAC (the Onkyo has a 32-bit 384 KHz) is doing such a great job of upscaling that I can't always notice. However, in our cars, I can pretty easily tell the difference from MP3/CD to a 24-bit FLAC. The imaging is still there but the high end seems to drop off quite a bit.

I do agree though that MP3 has come a long way and can actually sound pretty good these days, if encoded properly.

The thing is though, I have a pretty high end chain. Good DAC, good amp, pretty decent headphones and speakers (without going nuts) and I'm going to me honest. I have sat down and A/B compared Spotify's "very high" quality OGG streams and the albums I own on CD, and I cannot tell the difference at all.
Back in the Napster days when MP3s were lucky to be recorded at 128 kb, then on a good system I could tell between an MP3 and a CD. That said, compression is much better today than MP3 and bandwidth is much more plentiful. I can still usually tell when I drive in a crappy area and Spotify kicks down to low quality or a crappy old MP3 from my library starts playing, but I can't tell the difference between streaming high quality and lossless audio either, even on my home theater system.

I been thinking of getting a better sound system, but it's all chinese to me compared to mu 20 year old panasonic stereo CD system.

Become a Patron!
Back