Phison Is Expected to Demo Four New Controllers at CES 2024 including a Low-Power M.2 PCIe Gen 5 Aimed at Portable Devices

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Details for the upcoming CES 2024 are emerging where Phison is expected to demo four new controllers including a new mobile Gen5 solution.

See full article...

So I can just rip the current m.2 controller right off my mobo and replace it with one of these new ones>.

Un huh --- Why not?

Oh well, my laptop runs hot - even hotter after putting in the second 2tb drive in raid 0.

In wonder outside of low power use what the various controllers are targeted at. Maybe one of these will finally healed a Samsung pcie 5 drive?

So I can just rip the current m.2 controller right off my mobo and replace it with one of these new ones>.
Isn’t the controller built into the drive? The socket on your motherboard just taps into the PCI lanes, which for most will be part of the CPU, although some motherboards have PCI extension chipsets.

A basic “nvme to pci” adapter kind of illustrates that:

I think Elf_Boy was being a bit pedantic in effect questioning the use of talking about a new controller that you have to buy a new drive to use... that's my guess.

I think Elf_Boy was being a bit pedantic in effect questioning the use of talking about a new controller that you have to buy a new drive to use... that's my guess.
Elf_Boy can be a bit pedantic at times.

What use are these controllers if I have to buy a new drive to use them.... And yes I know they are on the drive, I was also being a bit hyperbolic.

Become a Patron!
Back