The Verdict Is In and Tim Sweeney Is Celebrating as Epic Games Wins Its Case after a Federal Jury Finds Google in Violation of US Antitrust Laws

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
The verdict is in from a federal jury in California regarding Epic v. Google and Tim Sweeney is celebrating a victorious ruling. Epic Games began its legal battle against Google three years ago alleging that it had engaged in monopolistic practices with its Google Play store, Android app distribution, billing services, and dealings with developers. This lawsuit was similar to another filed against Apple but that one didn't quite have the same outcome as this and was decided upon by Judge Yvonne Gonzalez Rogers who found an issue with both Epic Games and Apple. However, this time around a jury unanimously agreed that Epic proved its monopolization case against Google.

See full article...

Lost vs apple won vs google, should be the other way around. Installing a random apk on Android is one of the easiest things. Bewilders me why most big companies don't have available apks to directly download from the company in question. Yes i know apk pure and whatever.
Apple, no such thingnas installing apks easy if I understand. No jailbreaking doesn't count as 'easy'.

Last edited:
Lost vs apple won vs google, should be the other way around. Installing a random apk on Android is one of the easiest things. Bewilders me why most big companies don't have available apks to directly download from the company in question. Yes i know apk pure and whatever.
Apple, no such thingnas installing apks easy if I understand. No jailbreaking doesn't count as 'easy'.
I totally agree. Even as a slave to the Apple ecosystem - the missing ability to side load is just about the only thing I envy on the Android side of the fence. It's my device, I should be able to install anything I want.

But that isn't a big enough issue to make me switch away from the dark side by itself.

I don't understand. How is it OK for Apple to do this, but not OK for Google?

Doesn't legal precedent matter anymore?

I guess this just sets the stage for the appeals courts. Would be interesting if it eventually went all the way to the Supremes.

Well in looking apks direct from companies and not via play store, i found Amazon has the Amazon App Store apk for direct download. Funny enough, haven't found their shopping app directly from their website or their own app store (yes apk pure whatever of course). Well now I have a whole different app store in my phone.
If google closed down like Apple, I don't know, i certainly wouldn't like it. Problem is not much I can do. Maybe at best would be get a huawei phone, problem is it wouldn't work with too many importamt america based apps, not even apks since harmony OS is not android whatsoever anymore, in fact even their cpus are about to be not even be arm or riscv cpus any more ( in time). In some years they will be something else entirely from the hardware and up.

I don't understand. How is it OK for Apple to do this, but not OK for Google?

Doesn't legal precedent matter anymore?

I guess this just sets the stage for the appeals courts. Would be interesting if it eventually went all the way to the Supremes.

The one reason I came up with on top of my head is that apple is doing this only on their hardware, while android runs on different brands hardware, but who knows?

Become a Patron!
Back