Baldur’s Gate 3 Was Never Intended to Make Its Way to Game Pass Says Larian Studios Game Director

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Baldur's Gate 3 was never going to be on Xbox Game Pass, according to Larian Studios Swen Vincke in a new interview. Vincke said to IGN's Kat Bailey that Baldur's Gate 3 was never intended for the game service platform as the studio had purposely developed a complete game with a beginning, middle, and end that made it a huge game and it did not include any additional buy-ins such as micro-transactions. This was done as part of a business model to allow Larian Studios to keep making games. The estimated 75-100 hours (per Forbes) to complete the game in a basic playthrough not including going back to more thoroughly explore everything, plus the over 100 GB needed to install it, are a testament to Swen's claims.

See full article...

Shock... awe... A game made to just be the best version of that game they could make?! Nooo...

I am very glad there is so much great press around this game. Even from nerds of all ilk's thirsting after the voice actors and actresses. It's very cool to see and I hope everyone realizes how good that is for the industry.

People attached to this game are seeing their careers lifted up and the light on them. I don't think many voice performers expect to be catapulted into the lime light like they have been.

Now only if other studio's stop crying that making a game like this is hard and get on with making their own version of the best game they can...

I'm getting a strong Witcher 3 vibe with all the praise this game is getting. No way it can live up to all this hype, and if and when I eventually play it it will probably turn out to be another overrated mid game.

I'm getting a strong Witcher 3 vibe with all the praise this game is getting. No way it can live up to all this hype, and if and when I eventually play it it will probably turn out to be another overrated mid game.
AAA Graphics 6/10 I've seen much better and much worse.
AAA story: 8/10 Story is good not the best ever but it's very well done.
AAA Depth: 12/10 This game has layers of depth and voice acting work done that just constantly blows me away. Who the fudge does voice overs for squirrels that dislike a musician?

The game is good. It's shockingly good compared to everything else on the market. Is it the best game ever? Naaa but is it the best D&D style game in a decade... easily. In 2 decades... maybe. In 3 decades.. my rose colored glasses of the past skew things too much for me to say for sure.

That might be the problem, I have never seen a good D&D style game. That is exactly what scares me, the D&D inspired mechanics.

That might be the problem, I have never seen a good D&D style game. That is exactly what scares me, the D&D inspired mechanics.
Oh if you hate that then don't bother. There isn't a setting to get around it.

the first Neverwinter Nights was great. Played the heck out of that game.

It’s the best RPG I’ve played since Baulder’s gate 2. I was skeptical, but it continues the quality of the BG well. Of course, if you didn’t like BG 1 and BG 2, chances are good you won’t like BG3

Those were all before my time, I used to have a staunch anti RPG stance when I was younger. I thought it ridiculous that the game takes place in menus. This lasted well into the 2000s. When I first played Mass Effect I refused to engage with the RPG mechanics, even the inventory. I finished the game with lvl1 gear.

Become a Patron!
Back