AMD Confirms Socket AM5 Support through 2025: “We Want to Stay on AM5 As Long As We Possibly Can”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
David Mcafee, AMD's Corporate VP and GM of the Client Channel Business, has confirmed in a new interview with Overclockers UK that AMD is still planning on supporting Socket AM5 through 2025, as originally promised in its Ryzen 7000 Series marketing and other promotional materials.

See full article...

Okay just did a quick search because it's not something I totally keep track of but AM4 debuted in 2016 and still had support through 2022 with the 5800X3D, with rumors of more CPUs to come but I wouldn't put too much faith in that. AM5 debuted in 2022 so 2025 seems like a short run by comparison. I read Mcafee's quote which actually says 2025 and beyond, so here's hoping for closer to 2028 since I'm not planning on hopping on board until 2025ish and even then it all depends on how my 5800X3Ds are still faring.

Last edited:
My personal OPINION. I think 3 generations (real generations) of CPUs on a socket/platform, is acceptable.

If we get Zen4, Zen5, and Zen6 on AM5, I don't think anyone can complain.

I also acknowledge that sometimes the socket and platform have to evolve and that staying on a specific socket or chipset or platform, can ultimately hold back the CPU, and progress, and none of us should want that. I don't want the socket, to hold back future potential.

AM5 seems to be in a pretty good spot, given what the chipsets are capable of today - Intel on the other hand is going to need to do something to avoid awkward configurations when using a PCIe 5.0 M.2 SSD - and support for more than one would be great.

Otherwise, there just isn't a lot going on. DDR5 is new and scaling relatively well on all fronts, PCIe 5.0 is working well, and we're not likely to need more than 2.5Gbit / WiFi 7 / TB4/USB4 that's already available anytime soon, and it's not like we're hurting for power delivery either.

I've been kicking the idea around for an AMD rig, but we'll see. Nice to see them sticking with this socket for a while. I'm surprised Intel has done the same this go around.

Okay just did a quick search because it's not something I totally keep track of but AM4 debuted in 2016 and still had support through 2022 with the 5800X3D, with rumors of more CPUs to come but I wouldn't put too much faith in that. AM5 debuted in 2022 so 2025 seems like a short run by comparison. I read Mcafee's quote which actually says 2025 and beyond, so here's hoping for closer to 2028 since I'm not planning on hopping on board until 2025ish and even then it all depends on how my 5800X3Ds are still faring.
AM4 is still getting "new" CPU's, AMD is supposedly launching some more 3D ones

Also don't forget the exclusive 5600X3D micro center only

and lets not forget this one:

and

I'm just saying there's been lots of talk but not much has actually happened since the 5800X3D but back to topic, I really hope AM5 sticks around much longer than just 2025.

I'm thinking all of those new AM4 X3D CPU's are just 5800X3D's that didn't cut the mustard and are being repurposed after they had enough of a stockpile to release them. I could be wrong, but that's how I see it.

I also think AM5 will last a bit longer than 2025 as I'm sure they'll stockpile underperforming 7800X3D's and release 7700X3D, 7600X3D and 7500X3D's.

My personal OPINION. I think 3 generations (real generations) of CPUs on a socket/platform, is acceptable.

If we get Zen4, Zen5, and Zen6 on AM5, I don't think anyone can complain.

I also acknowledge that sometimes the socket and platform have to evolve and that staying on a specific socket or chipset or platform, can ultimately hold back the CPU, and progress, and none of us should want that. I don't want the socket, to hold back future potential.
This is exactly what I was going to say. I think I even said as much in earlier reviews I've done on AMD motherboards and CPU's. Furthermore, from a motherboard standpoint, supporting too many CPU's often turns into a ****show as we've seen in the past when BIOS chips aren't large enough to handle the code necessary to support so many different CPU designs and variants.

I honestly think two generations is probably best, but three is nice when its executed well. LGA 1700 has worked surprisingly well in this regard while AM4 was kept around for far too long.

I know that when upgraded from my 4930K to a 3700X I saw increased FPS at 4K and again when I upgraded to the 5800X3Ds that I now have in all three rigs. I think it could be very dependent on game features though as most of what I play uses ray tracing and DLSS plus every bell and whistle that comes out these days. I tend to play things that focus on realism and I believe that does bounce back to CPU processing more.

I know that when upgraded from my 4930K to a 3700X I saw increased FPS at 4K and again when I upgraded to the 5800X3Ds that I now have in all three rigs. I think it could be very dependent on game features though as most of what I play uses ray tracing and DLSS plus every bell and whistle that comes out these days. I tend to play things that focus on realism and I believe that does bounce back to CPU processing more.
Even if you're not maxing out the cou it's capability on handling I/O is another potential bottleneck.

Become a Patron!
Back