ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER Dual OC Spotted with a New 16-Pin Connector Replacing the Previous 8-Pin Connector

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
It's only a short amount of time until NVIDIA is expected to officially announce its RTX 40 SUPER series of GPUs and images of one board partner's new card have now been leaked online via @momomo_us. The ASUS GeForce RTX 4070 SUPER Dual OC is nearly identical to its non-SUPER counterpart but with one noticeable hardware difference, its power connector. While the card seemingly appears to use the same stylings of its predecessor the 8-pin power connector has been replaced with a 16-pin connector. What is not discernable from the leaked image is if the 16-pin connector is the revised 12VHPWR connector, aka 12V-2x6 but it would be more of a surprise if it wasn't given the reputation for its first iteration. The two cards can seen below with the older one on the right.

See full article...

Yeah, according to the rumors the new version has a TDP of 225 Watts which is the max of a 8-pin. Granted that with the 75 Watts, the PCIe connector could provide there's still some wiggle room but that is cutting it close, especially if someone is able to push this card farther. Combine that with what appears to be a "no more than one 8-pin" connector approach by many NV manufacturers and it's a one-way road to the next standard.

eah, according to the rumors the new version has a TDP of 225 Watts which is the max of a 8-pin. Granted that with the 75 Watts, the PCIe connector could provide there's still some wiggle room but that is cutting it close, especially if someone is able to push this card farther.
Well, 150W is the max of the PCIe eight-pin by design; the other 75W in that figure would be coming through the PCIe slot, which Nvidia typically avoids. So to get 225W Nvidia style a six-pin PCIe power connector would need to be added, or as above, just move to the new standard.

Yep, sorry hadn't finished that 1st cup of coffee, 75W from the slot and 225W from the connector. They could do it but still a bit risky.

It's still just 150W from the connector for eight-pin PCIe, time for the second cup of coffee :coffee:
I was going by this. According to it, it's still 75W. I agree that the pin-out design can handle 150W per the x16 ATX Express specification, I also remember reading that somewhere a while back and how it is limited on what can be drawn from it. I tried finding more on 5.0 but the results were almost entirely about the connector and not the motherboard slot because I could've sworn it actually did get bumped up to 150W.

"As it happens, the data on PCIe 4.0's upgraded bandwidth was accurate, but apparently someone at PCI-SIG gave Tom's incorrect information regarding the power provisions in the new standard. Currently, PCI Express 3.0 cards may draw 75W from the expansion slot, and an additional 225W from auxiliary connectors, for a total of 300W. PCIe 4.0 devices may be allowed to draw more than 300W in total power. However, the power provided by the slot itself will remain at 75 watts."

Become a Patron!
Back