Star Wars Director Comments on Her New Rey Skywalker Film with Daisy Ridley: “It’s About Time We Had a Woman Shape a Story in a Galaxy Far, Far...

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
CNN has published a video that points out how Sharmeen Obaid-Chinoy will be the first woman and person of color to direct a Star Wars movie, and apparently, it's a fact that the Oscar-winning director is well aware of, with Obaid-Chinoy going on to tell the news channel on New Year's Eve that "it's about time" that something like this happened, and how the new movie, which will see Daisy Ridley back in her role of Rey Skywalker, will be "something very special."

See full article...

If it doesn't set records is she going to blame toxic masculinity? Slough blame in 3... 2.... 1...

A woman has been shaping the story since disney took over.

A story can be either good or bad, it doesn't matter what is the skin color or gender of the writer or the director to anyone who is not a racist or sexist.

The people who want to hide behind identity from criticism are the most bigoted bunch. Will 2024 be the year normies finally realize, that there is no army of basement dwelling racist sexist dweebs, only bad writers and bad directors?

A woman has been shaping the story since disney took over.

A story can be either good or bad, it doesn't matter what is the skin color or gender of the writer or the director to anyone who is not a racist or sexist.

The people who want to hide behind identity from criticism are the most bigoted bunch. Will 2024 be the year normies finally realize, that there is no army of basement dwelling racist sexist dweebs, only bad writers and bad directors?
That's the thing. She's calling attention to her race and gender rather than letting her work speak for itself. I also feel like most of the recent Star Wars directors, she wasn't hired for reasons of merit. Race and gender have no bearing on your skills as a writer. Hiring people based on that criteria is ludicrous and stupid.

That's the thing. She's calling attention to her race and gender rather than letting her work speak for itself. I also feel like most of the recent Star Wars directors, she wasn't hired for reasons of merit. Race and gender have no bearing on your skills as a writer. Hiring people based on that criteria is ludicrous and stupid.
That was my point also, I don't care about her race, gender, or ideology, all I care about is whether the movie will be good. But when the first thing you say after getting such a dream job is: "I'm woman, like me or else" that doesn't bode well for the product. I want a director hired to make star wars to talk about how excited she is to have this opportunity and that they'll try their best to not disappoint.

It's almost as if they want us to be excited for her instead of the movie. Well, sorry I just ran out of Fs to give about Star Wars, until they put something on the table that is actually good.

That was my point also, I don't care about her race, gender, or ideology, all I care about is whether the movie will be good. But when the first thing you say after getting such a dream job is: "I'm woman, like me or else" that doesn't bode well for the product. I want a director hired to make star wars to talk about how excited she is to have this opportunity and that they'll try their best to not disappoint.

It's almost as if they want us to be excited for her instead of the movie. Well, sorry I just ran out of Fs to give about Star Wars, until they put something on the table that is actually good.
Yea.... this may be the first star wars movie I've not gone to see in the theater.... And that's actually kind of sad. Not because it's a female director, but because that's the focus of what she's concerned about. It's like she already knows it's a turd.

Yea.... this may be the first star wars movie I've not gone to see in the theater...
That last one, left me feeling so burned out that I didn't realize until last summer that I never got around to buying a physical copy for the third film. I got the digital release via Amazon during Covid in 2019 and never felt inspired enough to purchase again after that. That's unheard for me with SW since up until then it was kind of a big deal for me to own them all in a physical format going all the way back to VHS days, even knew someone who had the betamax version for IV when I was a kid.

I was done with theaters even before the last trilogy but definitely have less than zero feelings for even wanting to try for this, if, when, it finally happens.

Yea.... this may be the first star wars movie I've not gone to see in the theater....
Funny that, I only seen Phantom Menace in the theater. Original trilogy was before my time, besides it wasn't even shown in theaters behind the iron curtain. Only had awful bootleg VHS copies until the 1990s when it finally come through official channels.
I was done with theaters even before the last trilogy but definitely have less than zero feelings for even wanting to try for this, if, when, it finally happens.
I was done after TLJ, so much so that I still haven't seen Solo or the last one, so I probably won't see this one either unless I hear really good things about it.

shown in theaters behind the iron curtain.
Funny you should say that. I once had a "community" copy of Iron Man 2 from there back in the day which has a totally, and imho, better opening scene than the one we got here. Parts of it are included as deleted scenes but even then they're not all there. The movie was still horrible but that opening scene was awesome.

Funny you should say that. I once had a "community" copy of Iron Man 2 from there back in the day which has a totally, and imho, better opening scene than the one we got here. Parts of it are included as deleted scenes but even then they're not all there. The movie was still horrible but that opening scene was awesome.
The iron curtain was a distant memory by the time iron man 2 came around. So it was definitely not state meddling.

The iron curtain was a distant memory by the time iron man 2 came around. So it was definitely not state meddling.
oh for sure, it was more of a sidetrack comment on how different edits of movies get released in different regions.

Become a Patron!
Back