AMD Ryzen 7 8700G (8C/16T) and Ryzen 5 8600G (6C/12T) Appear on Geekbench with Up to 5,088 MHz Boost Clock, Zen 4 Cores, and Radeon 780M RDNA 3 Gra...

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The AMD Ryzen 7 8700G and Ryzen 5 8600G have appeared on the Geekbench Browser, revealing a few of the key specifications that customers should find in the two chips, new desktop APUs that feature Zen 4 cores and RDNA 3 graphics.

See full article...

Now this should be some solid competition with Intel's Meteor lake APU's!!

What I want are iGPU reviews comparing them to things like a RTX 3050. I've done some testing with the 13900HX in my laptop and does okay with non-demanding things. I haven't done too much but at some point I'll toy with things at 720p. This 8700G is sounding like a nice offering though and given what AMD provides consoles with we know they've got the APU tech to offer. I'm sure it just comes down to the contracts with MS/Sony that prevents them from releasing anything "too" powerful in the PC market.

This 8700G is sounding like a nice offering though and given what AMD provides consoles with we know they've got the APU tech to offer. I'm sure it just comes down to the contracts with MS/Sony that prevents them from releasing anything "too" powerful in the PC market.
The three big problems I see with AMD pushing APU performance to desktop-grade SKUs are cost (bigger dies) vs. addressable market, memory bandwidth with desktop memory implementations, and potential cannibalization of lower-end desktop SKUs.

As you imply, it's not really a function of not being possible as AMD could easily stick some eDRAM on the package with more GPU real estate allocation, and they could also just add more cache directly to the APU. The problem then shifts from performance to cost, both in terms of per-unit BOM but also in terms of producing a separate product, and whether there's actually a market for such a thing.

Would folks be cool with buying US$500+ APUs that could say keep up with an RX6600 + 7700X combo?

The three big problems I see with AMD pushing APU performance to desktop-grade SKUs are cost (bigger dies) vs. addressable market, memory bandwidth with desktop memory implementations, and potential cannibalization of lower-end desktop SKUs.

As you imply, it's not really a function of not being possible as AMD could easily stick some eDRAM on the package with more GPU real estate allocation, and they could also just add more cache directly to the APU. The problem then shifts from performance to cost, both in terms of per-unit BOM but also in terms of producing a separate product, and whether there's actually a market for such a thing.

Would folks be cool with buying US$500+ APUs that could say keep up with an RX6600 + 7700X combo?
If you can get a good PC cost down to console levels that can game at 4k 30hz with upscaling for around 600 bucks that would be nice. I just don't see it happening for a diy market. Barely a system integrator market.

I read somewhere they cut down the PCIE lanes so NVME and GPUs take some perf hits. But for people in the market for APUs like this I doubt that will factor in much.

I read somewhere they cut down the PCIE lanes so NVME and GPUs take some perf hits. But for people in the market for APUs like this I doubt that will factor in much.
Could be - though in general it's not going to be an issue so long as they have at least 20 PCIe 4.0 lanes available.

Become a Patron!
Back