343 Industries Is Reportedly Developing the Next Halo Game Using Unreal Engine 5

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
343 Industries is reportedly working on the next Halo game and it has been said the developer is using Epic Games' Unreal Engine 5 for it. Rumors about the next Halo game being in development began last spring when veteran Art/Game Director Justin Dinges (Halo: Infinite, Call of Duty: Black Ops DLC, Modern Warfare III) that he'd also worked on an unannounced Halo game. It was then in October 2023 when Seasoned Gaming's editor-in-chief, Ains, also revealed during a podcast that the next game was being worked on but, as part of a "restructuring" strategy, was being built using the popular game engine.

See full article...

Wow... How that engine is SUPER popular. Every time I turn around another game is being written using that engine.

Yeah, it's kind of crazy and while I'm not against it I do have concerns about if anyone down the road will have resources to develop their own should they suddenly decide they don't want to pay whatever fees go with it.

I know there have been a ton of junk engines throughout the decades but I'm doubtful that it'll be a good thing if we get down to only two or three being predominantly used in the industry.

Yeah, it's kind of crazy and while I'm not against it I do have concerns about if anyone down the road will have resources to develop their own should they suddenly decide they don't want to pay whatever fees go with it.

I know there have been a ton of junk engines throughout the decades but I'm doubtful that it'll be a good thing if we get down to only two or three being predominantly used in the industry.
Oh lets be real I don't think we are at any risk of that happening. For all the bad press Unity is still a powerful engine, as is Ea's Frostbite, and Rockstar has theirs as well that they have been steadily improving. Not to mention that variants of the Crytek engines that are still actively developed on.

I think it's a hayday for this Unreal engine, but it has a lot to do with the freemium licensing structure as well, plus lots of tools support for it that are just freeware.

and let's not forget RE Engine and 4A Engine but in terms of Frostbite, there has been things said about some EA games using Unreal, like Marvel's Iron Man and the next Jedi Survivor game. Those are in the search results lists I included in the article. However, I totally agree with you on the others, especially Rockstar since they've done an amazing job of keeping that thing going. I've finally gotten around to doing a play through of RDR2 and I'm in awe at how beautiful that game is and how well it runs on a 3090 Ti w/ DLSS2 or natively on a 4090 at 4K when using mostly maxed settings.

and let's not forget RE Engine and 4A Engine but in terms of Frostbite, there has been things said about some EA games using Unreal, like Marvel's Iron Man and the next Jedi Survivor game. Those are in the search results lists I included in the article. However, I totally agree with you on the others, especially Rockstar since they've done an amazing job of keeping that thing going. I've finally gotten around to doing a play through of RDR2 and I'm in awe at how beautiful that game is and how well it runs on a 3090 Ti w/ DLSS2 or natively on a 4090 at 4K when using mostly maxed settings.
Yea I'm tempted to reinstall it just to play it on my 7900xtx. The distance and views are just... amazing.

Become a Patron!
Back