AMD Comments on NVIDIA’s Lack of Driver-Based Frame Gen: “They’re Probably Going to Need to Do Something Similar”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
DLSS 3 and Frame Generation has been well received by GeForce users, but Aaron Steinman (Senior Manager, Radeon Product Management at AMD) seems to think that NVIDIA could be handling its technologies better, pointing out this week how some of AMD's solutions, such as Fluid Motion Frames and Radeon Super Resolution, are driver/software-based rather and less dependent on specific hardware. Steinman, who previously worked at NVIDIA over a decade ago, believes that NVIDIA will eventually have to copy what AMD is doing.

See full article...

Very brave of AMD to wave the red rag before Nvidia !!

Who says it was well received? It's snake-oil, and borderline scam when they are trying to present it as real performance improvement.

Who says it was well received? It's snake-oil, and borderline scam when they are trying to present it as real performance improvement.
Why would you say that? It certainly works, albeit at the cost of some image fidelity. To some being able to play a game at all is more important than it looking the absolute best it possibly can.

Why would you say that? It certainly works, albeit at the cost of some image fidelity. To some being able to play a game at all is more important than it looking the absolute best it possibly can.
The problem is that they are trying to blur the line between framegen and actual graphics performance. Always comparing their current gen framegen enabled numbers to last gen numbers without framegen.

DLSS is already a noticeable IQ hit, even on quality mode, if you add framegen to the mix it gets even worse. My problem is not its existence, but how they are treating it as magical extra performance with no drawbacks.

I'm not going to disagree with @MadMummy76 on marketing, because I don't pay attention to that and thus have no opinion to form.

Big take home has been that lower-end GPUs are provided a potentially better combination of tactics toward making more games playable, or better playable with more fidelity. How this bears out in reality is a complicated balance that must account for the user in question as well, but overall, I agree that it's a net positive.

Big take home has been that lower-end GPUs are provided a potentially better combination of tactics toward making more games playable, or better playable with more fidelity. How this bears out in reality is a complicated balance that must account for the user in question as well, but overall, I agree that it's a net positive.
It's actually lower end GPUs that benefit from it the least. framegen typically works pretty good above 60fps, so it will easily double that to 120fps, but if you have a lower end gpu that barely produces 20 fps the resulting 40 fps will still be stuttery and glitchy.

This is why I think it is complete snakeoil, because by the time it starts working fine it becomes unnecessary. Upscaling at least genuinely reduces the load on the GPU, framegen does not, it just inserts interpolated frames in between real ones further increasing the lag, instead of helping.

Frame Generation is not about performance (but it is being marketed as such). It's a smoothing feature, but unfortunately it's being marketed as a means to "improve performance" which is not correct. There's a lot of misunderstanding around it, and it's being confused in the way it's being marketed.

As MadMummy mentioned, Frame Gen smoothing works best when your base framerate is already very high, like 60FPS+. The experience of a low framerate base, and then adding Frame Gen is not good because Frame Gen does not take into account in-game engine latency.

This is what frame gen reminds me of when you're coming from sub 60 FPS to begin with.

Become a Patron!
Back