The Pokémon Company Issues Statement on Palworld: “We Intend to Investigate”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The Pokémon Company has issued an official statement regarding what could only be Palworld following the game's success and its many controversies, including how Pocketpair, the developer behind the multiplayer open-world survival crafting game, allegedly stole many of its character designs from Pokémon.

See full article...

I saw a great thing on this. The Palworld company and the Pokemon Nintendo company are all in Japan. Meaning their laws apply not US laws. Meaning there is no such thing as fair use.

I'm betting here that Nintendo doesn't have a legal leg to stand on according to the word of the law. They are SO litigious as an organization in protecting their IP that I just don't see them able to 'fix' this.

I saw a great thing on this. The Palworld company and the Pokemon Nintendo company are all in Japan. Meaning their laws apply not US laws. Meaning there is no such thing as fair use.
Fair use is not just an US thing. IDK if Japan has an equivalent of it, but other countries certainly do.

But this would not fall under fair use anyway as they are direct competitors. Fair use is for commentary and transformative content that serves a different market than the IP used under fair use.

I(m not too versed on all the legalities, but around 90% or so of games should be in serious trouble as they are based on previous types of games id software could stop all fps games from releasing (or whoever had ther first fps game) etc..

I(m not too versed on all the legalities, but around 90% or so of games should be in serious trouble as they are based on previous types of games id software could stop all fps games from releasing (or whoever had ther first fps game) etc..
I think the precedent is that it needs to be 20% different to be not considered infringing. The only place where nintendo has a chance is the design of the creatures, because the rest of the game is certainly different enough to be not a problem.

Being similar is not enough for a lawsuit. Asylum films is basically built on this loophole.

Apparently, and not yet verified, one of the folks posting that they had proof of 1:1 character design copies, has come out and said they faked their findings. However, that is only just one specific person and the others were not making the exact same claims/posts. Almost did a story on it today but that posters social media page went "poof" so I held off. If more develops by tomorrow I let you know.

Apparently, and not yet verified, one of the folks posting that they had proof of 1:1 character design copies, has come out and said they faked their findings. However, that is only just one specific person and the others were not making the exact same claims/posts. Almost did a story on it today but that posters social media page went "poof" so I held off. If more develops by tomorrow I let you know.
I'd not base an article on social media posts about a controversy. Just too many people willing to outright lie or fabricate evidence, or simply too uninformed and dumb to know any better but talk with such confidence as if they have irrefutable evidence.

I'd not base an article on social media posts about a controversy. Just too many people willing to outright lie or fabricate evidence, or simply too uninformed and dumb to know any better but talk with such confidence as if they have irrefutable evidence.
Exactly. I was waiting to see if something more credible would surface, and well, as of this morning nada. I did come across a Palword-themed PC case though -lol.

Become a Patron!
Back