Skull and Bones Reportedly Hasn’t Reached a 1M Playercount and Ubisoft Is Not Expecting to Recoup Its Roughly $200 Million Development Costs

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Skull and Bones hasn't managed to break the 1 million player count yet, something that most AAA titles can usually do within days of being launched. Exclusive sources have shared some interesting details with Tom Henderson (Insider Gaming) that Ubisoft's first title priced at $70 is currently sitting at around the 850,000 player count mark. This figure includes those who are playing it for free with an 8-hour trial period. Per an unnamed internal source on the development team, Henderson was told "I think we all know this is a $30-$40 game at best, but it’s not in our control to determine those things."

See full article...

I generally ignore most of what Ubisoft does. What kind of game is this (besides some sort of sailing/pirate action/adventure game)? Is it a MMO, single player, or ???

n/m ... Wikipedia and I figured it out.

Last edited:
You lost me at Ubisoft.
Yeah, pretty much the same. I've got a little interest in Avatar but between being completely burnt out after the last movie and it being Ubisoft I'll probably never get it unless it's free.

I hope we are seeing the end of the "live service title" era.
Me too but doubtful. There've been a few different stories recently about various publishers dealing with their failed live service attempts but it usually ends up sounding like instead of acknowledging how many PC and console players don't like them they just figure that a new strategy or some tweaking will solve it. We know they're basing this stuff on a ton of market research but somewhere along the line, they miss the mark on why some live service games are hits and others totally flop. Here's one about Sony/Bungie.

Regardless though, I'm not into them at all. If the game is complete I don't mind paying $60-70, it still hurts, but if it's a game I like and has been well made I know I'll put ~100 hours into it and enjoy that. However, back on topic for this game, as the anonymous employee said, they knew this should've been a $30-40 game and that's something publishers need to consider if they plan to exploit the community for in-game revenue.

I don't know mch about this game since I have no interest in pirate themed anything, I did get asked by ubisoft to fill out a survey for this game so at least they should not be surpried by that, that I did not get it.

Me too but doubtful. There've been a few different stories recently about various publishers dealing with their failed live service attempts but it usually ends up sounding like instead of acknowledging how many PC and console players don't like them they just figure that a new strategy or some tweaking will solve it. We know they're basing this stuff on a ton of market research but somewhere along the line, they miss the mark on why some live service games are hits and others totally flop. Here's one about Sony/Bungie.
They'd never admit it publicly that they bet too much on the wrong horse. But that doesn't mean they won't silently alter course and spin it like it's their new novel idea.

As for market research that is like statistics, it will show whatever they want it to show. I bet Busch did market research too before they put out the ad that cut their sales in half.

Kinda sad that AC4: Black Flag came out over 10 years ago, and yet people are saying it is a much better sailing+pirate game than this one (with comparable or even better graphics!). Ubisoft can't even match up to their own older games that they put out many years earlier!

As for market research that is like statistics, it will show whatever they want it to show. I bet Busch did market research too before they put out the ad that cut their sales in half.
Just like Microsoft supposedly did market research that led them to put out the "Duke" controller for the original Xbox (the original super-huge controller) that almost no one liked. Good gawd that thing was unwieldy. I don't know what kind of "research" they did, but it was very, very wrong.

Water Based Pirate Adventure
Are there pirate adventures that are not water-based? Cuz it seems sailing usually goes hand-in-hand with pirate stuff. Unless we're talking sand pirates or space pirates (not many of those left thanks to Samus Aran) or sky pirates or whatever other kinds of pirates are out there. Ninja-pirates? Pirate-ninjas?

Kinda sad that AC4: Black Flag came out over 10 years ago, and yet people are saying it is a much better sailing+pirate game than this one (with comparable or even better graphics!). Ubisoft can't even match up to their own older games that they put out many years earlier!
It is an industry wide problem. Volition couldn't match previous saints row games either. Just as rocksteady couldn't match the arkham games, and machinegames will never be able to match new order.

It is what 10-15 years of diversity hires and firing or telling veterans to shut up and get in with the program will do to a game developer.

Are there pirate adventures that are not water-based? Cuz it seems sailing usually goes hand-in-hand with pirate stuff. Unless we're talking sand pirates or space pirates (not many of those left thanks to Samus Aran) or sky pirates or whatever other kinds of pirates are out there. Ninja-pirates? Pirate-ninjas?
No it's because there is no land based piracy. Part of the reason the game feels meh. Oh and from what I read no on ship combat either.

No it's because there is no land based piracy. Part of the reason the game feels meh. Oh and from what I read no on ship combat either.

Interesting, because the video @DrezKill linked clearly shows one crew using grappling ropes to haul in an adjacent ship. I wonder if the scene quickly jumps to a stat screen when the ships make contact? [edit: no, I don't care enough to investigate any further; I stopped at "Ubisoft".]

The game looks like a jumbled mess, but the graphics are a huge step up from DirectX 7 graphics in the old Sea Dogs circa 2000.

Become a Patron!
Back