RIP GTX, It’s The End of an Era as Board Partners Announce That the NVIDIA GTX 16 Series Has Officially Been Discontinued

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
RIP GTX, the long-running series of NVIDIA graphics cards has officially met its end as board partners have announced its discontinuation. The GTX branding was first seen with NVIDIA's Kepler-based Geforce 7 series in 2005. NVIDIA is well known for mix-matching and rebranding products which then led the GTX branding to take a more prominent stance as the prefix for its product names starting with the GeForce 200 series in 2008 where it would become the mainstay brand until the launch of the Turing-based RTX series in 2018.

See full article...

So all laptop cards will be RTX from now on.... Somehow I doubt that. I suspect we will see a rebrand of GTX cards as some AI themed moniker. Because the ray tracing compute to date does nothing for AI performance. It's those Cuda cores that matter for that. I say we will see some AIEX cards come out loaded up with more cuda cores for 'AI' that just happen to be amazing at rasterization. They might throw a few tensor cores at it to say it can still do reflections but the market target will change for the GTX cards.

Because the ray tracing compute to date does nothing for AI performance.
Ok well that's kind of funny.... since they locked DLSS to RTX tensor cores, and the big thing was "Use AI to increase your performance"

GTX doesn't have any RT or Tensor cores to my knowledge.

So while the RT cores may not do much, it was the tensor cores that did the AI grunt work.

Or at least that's how I understood it.

Ok well that's kind of funny.... since they locked DLSS to RTX tensor cores, and the big thing was "Use AI to increase your performance"

GTX doesn't have any RT or Tensor cores to my knowledge.

So while the RT cores may not do much, it was the tensor cores that did the AI grunt work.

Or at least that's how I understood it.
Crap it appears I was completely wrong on that. Why did I think Cuda cores did that...

The GTX 16 series had a Turing processor, same found in the RTX 20 series but, if I remember correctly, the tensor cores were disabled on them. I also seem to remember reading that theoretically there was some way to run DLSS on them but it was abysmal. The GTX 16 series was kind of an odd beast as far as GTX went.

Become a Patron!
Back