Star Wars Jedi Director Forms New Studio Giant Skull, Developing Triple-A Action-Adventure Game in Unreal Engine 5

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Respawn Entertainment veteran Stig Asmussen has announced the formation of Giant Skull, a new triple-A studio based in LA that was founded to develop the next generation of "gameplay-driven, story-immersed" action-adventure games.

See full article...

So wait they won't be doing the next in the Jedi series? That's still Respawn? Interesting.

I hope the best for him and sounds like he has some good ideas for being efficient. At a glance it looks like he has some good people at the top but hopefully he can follow through with similar quality staffing for the other roles because you can't really sail a ship with just a bunch of experienced captains and their lieutenants. His strategy of having just 100 people to make AAA games w/o long term timelines will ultimately depend on good staffing to get quality work done on time and not just leadership to point the direction.

I hope the best for him and sounds like he has some good ideas for being efficient. At a glance it looks like he has some good people at the top but hopefully he can follow through with similar quality staffing for the other roles because you can't really sail a ship with just a bunch of experienced captains and their lieutenants. His strategy of having just 100 people to make AAA games w/o long term timelines will ultimately depend on good staffing to get quality work done on time and not just leadership to point the direction.

Every other week you can read about a new studio with some old timers, my main issue is they never seem to get any games done afaik, or maybe they are not worth mentioning?

I totally agree. I can't even begin to keep track of all the new studios we've heard about in the last 2-3 years and yep, where are the games? I wonder if all the would-be talent is too busy trying to make it on their own with indie mobile games instead of taking a chance at one of these studios.

I totally agree. I can't even begin to keep track of all the new studios we've heard about in the last 2-3 years and yep, where are the games? I wonder if all the would-be talent is too busy trying to make it on their own with indie mobile games instead of taking a chance at one of these studios.
I don't know how they are doing it. A AAA game studio is going to take 3-5 years to create their first game on the conservative side. We've seen fairly large games done in less time but there are a ton of problems that come with that. It takes an enormous amount of resources and they'll effectively spend the next six months to a year finishing it.

It takes a lot of capital to even get a company of 100 people (mentioned in the article) hired and pay them for the time it takes to develop a AAA game. Not to mention all the other support stuff that goes along with it. Infrastructure, workstations, IT personnel etc.

Become a Patron!
Back