Amazon Has Reportedly Obtained Permission to Use Parts of J.R.R. Tolkien’s The Silmarillion and Peter Jackson Could Be Adapting It to Film

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
Amazon has reportedly been working with J.R.R. Tolkien's estate to obtain rights for The Silmarillion and is said to have made some progress. Now the following should be taken with a grain of salt as those reporting on this are connecting a lot of dots to support the premise but as Hollywood continues to scavenge for morsels of new content anything is possible.

See full article...

Yet another single J.R.R. Tolkien book stretched out into a trilogy?

Yet another single J.R.R. Tolkien book stretched out into a trilogy?
Man you and I have different recollections of books converted to movies. I always find so much is left out if they try and cut down an entire novel to a single movie. For larger novels. I suppose for some cheap short flight reads that might work?

Man you and I have different recollections of books converted to movies. I always find so much is left out if they try and cut down an entire novel to a single movie. For larger novels. I suppose for some cheap short flight reads that might work?
Lord of the Rings - yes
Hobbit - no

Isn't the silmarilion basically a history book that encompasses thousands of years and has no real plot or characters just a recollection of events?

Isn't the silmarilion basically a history book that encompasses thousands of years and has no real plot or characters just a recollection of events?

That's my recollection as well. But it does explain the history and state of Middle Earth during the Hobbit and LOTR trilogy (kind of). For example, explanation of who or what are Gandalf and Saruman (and other wizards that did not appear - or if only mentioned in passing - in the trilogy); also the significance of the rings of power, the rise of men, the decline of elves, and what the heck was going on with Shelob and Tom Bombadil.

I always find so much is left out if they try and cut down an entire novel to a single movie.
I mostly agree with you on this but man The Hobbit became a train wreck. I would've been happy with a 2 1/2 theatrical version and then 3+ hours with all the rest instead of the bloated monstrosity it became. I still occasionally rewatch them but it's hard to get past the 2nd one and rarely finish the 3rd.

I mostly hope this movie doesn't happen but Hollywood will never let anything be and sooner or later it will all get made into something.

Become a Patron!
Back