GIGABYTE BETA BIOS with Intel Baseline on Z790/B760 Motherboards Launched for ‘Superior Stability’

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
The GIGABYTE BETA BIOS for Z790/B760 motherboards with Intel's Baseline Profile are now available to download for optimal stability. The Intel Baseline Profile first appeared recently when ASUS released its own BIOS update. These BIOS updates aim to address CPU instability issues reported by users while gaming with Intel's 13th and 14th gen core processors. The new profile locks in motherboard settings to Intel factory defaults. GIGABYTE has said that enabling the baseline profile will disable its PerfDrive settings which provides "premier" performance for its motherboards.

See full article...

Good, but... shouldn't it be the other way around, Intel Baseline should be the 'default' and then an OC profile to go beyond that

This issue, at its core, is one that's been building over time. Hasn't been a big problem since Intel CPUs had some headroom, but now that they are being pushed to the edge, now it's starting to be a problem.

It was a problem a little while ago, remember, on AMD with the whole voltage issue being too high.

So this isn't intrinsic to Intel, it's an inherent design choice from motherboard manufacturers, and it is not a new issue really.

I think best we can hope for right now is that more manufacturers will provide 'Intel/AMD Default Spec' profiles in the BIOS.

So far I've seen ASUS and Gigabyte step up to the plate, I hope others follow.

Last edited:
This is basically the same thing that AMD/Asus did a little while ago with their chips IMO. Yes Intel has been letting this go a while longer and should have "corralled" it a while ago before its 14th Gen chips that were dangerously close to their limits reared its ugly head. All manufacturers are out to beat the other just like always, but now we seem to be reaching the limits of just how hard hardware can be pushed. The margin for error has narrowed considerably.

I didn't see any mention of voltage here - it's going to be voltage along with heat that causes real degradation, so if that's what people are seeing, then the higher and higher duration power limits are resulting in temperature tracking at the throttling temperature, and that being driven partially by very high voltage.

That's cooking CPUs 101.

The fix is the real problem; limiting power will address the issue, but if high voltages remain, that means that there's no margin left for additional performance. I'm not seeing a solid way forward here outside of users carefully and methodically testing lower voltages to see if defaults are tracking too high. Problem there being that having voltage too low will lead to the same instability problems.

Become a Patron!
Back