Alan Wake 2 Reveals It Hasn’t Earned Back Its Budget Yet after Launching as an Epic Games Store Exclusive

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Alan Wake 2, the critically acclaimed 2023 survival horror game that Remedy Entertainment launched for PS5, Xbox Series X|S, and Windows PCs on October 27, 2023, has yet to recoup all of its expenses, including those spent for development and marketing, according to new comments that Remedy CEO Tero Virtala shared this week.

See full article...

Critically acclaimed means nothing. I have not heard a single person praising its story, unlike Alan Wake 1. Word of mouth matters.
Control had more buzz, despite also being an EGS exclusive. AW2 is simply a crap game is what it looks like to me.

Of course exclusivity doesn't help, but it failed where Control a new IP succeeded.

PS: Yeah I know Control is supposed to be in the same universe as Alan Wake, but it was never advertised as such prior to release.

I think that the EGS exclusivity is what's hurting this game the most. I mean, there's not exactly a bunch of folks jumping up and down with their hands in the air saying look at what I just "bought" on EGS. Control eventually made its way to pretty much every storefront which I'm sure has led to its growing popularity but 6 months down the road AW2 is still only available from EGS. It ought to be interesting to see what happens with sales figures when that changes.

I think that the EGS exclusivity is what's hurting this game the most. I mean, there's not exactly a bunch of folks jumping up and down with their hands in the air saying look at what I just "bought" on EGS. Control eventually made its way to pretty much every storefront which I'm sure has led to its growing popularity but 6 months down the road AW2 is still only available from EGS. It ought to be interesting to see what happens with sales figures when that changes.
Control was EGS exclusive for a year.

Control was EGS exclusive for a year.
Well, there you go. Ironically even that's about how long it took until I tried putting some time into it and then get bored barely a month later. I then tried AW1 managed a handful of hours before stopping. I received AW2 for free with a recent GPU purchase and just haven't had the time to check it out beyond a quick launch.

Become a Patron!
Back