3070 Delayed?!?!

I think NVIDIA's delay is both due to AMD and due to lack of stock. It's still going to be before AMD releases hardware, just after their announcement, probably to take some of the excitement away. I love how they play it as they are doing you a favor though, it's almost derogatory at this point. Like the whole it's not a supply issue, it's a demand issue... like, wtf, if you don't have the supply to meet demand, then it IS a supply issue. You're not doing me a favor by delaying your card so there is more stock, YOU couldn't produce enough to meet your deadline/release date. It's like blaming the customers for their supply limitations.

I think NVIDIA's delay is both due to AMD and due to lack of stock. It's still going to be before AMD releases hardware, just after their announcement, probably to take some of the excitement away. I love how they play it as they are doing you a favor though, it's almost derogatory at this point. Like the whole it's not a supply issue, it's a demand issue... like, wtf, if you don't have the supply to meet demand, then it IS a supply issue. You're not doing me a favor by delaying your card so there is more stock, YOU couldn't produce enough to meet your deadline/release date. It's like blaming the customers for their supply limitations.

NVIDIA has launched cards without significant stock. I don't think they give a ****. If one card was out there they'd call it something other than a paper launch. It's really about stealing AMD's Thunder. NVIDIA has always operated like that.

As for the supply commentary, I agree with you. The demand far exceeds supply. Therefore, it's a supply issue. Having said that, there is a difference between long term supply projections and short term ones. It doesn't always make sense to build up production capacity when it's only going to be inadequate in the short term. Of course, NVIDIA doesn't produce anything directly as it is a fabless company. They may not have any control over their partners and increasing capacity on the 8nm node may not be something Samsung is willing to do. The supply issues may not just be there either, we really don't know. I took Jensen Huang's statement "it's not a supply issue" more to mean that there isn't a **** thing that NVIDIA can do about the problem.

That may mean that they believe the supply issue is a short term one, not a long term one. Even saying that card availability will be **** through early 2021 doesn't change that. Initial demand is high. It may drop off some when AMD's RX6000 series launches. That's almost a given. More than that, the 5 month window of poor availability isn't likely to be uniformly poor. That is, we are in the worst of it now and it should be better by mid Q1 2021. Past that, the demand should taper off going towards the middle to end of 2021 where availability might be projected to be adequate for the demand.

NVIDIA has launched cards without significant stock. I don't think they give a ****. If one card was out there they'd call it something other than a paper launch. It's really about stealing AMD's Thunder. NVIDIA has always operated like that.

As for the supply commentary, I agree with you. The demand far exceeds supply. Therefore, it's a supply issue. Having said that, there is a difference between long term supply projections and short term ones. It doesn't always make sense to build up production capacity when it's only going to be inadequate in the short term. Of course, NVIDIA doesn't produce anything directly as it is a fabless company. They may not have any control over their partners and increasing capacity on the 8nm node may not be something Samsung is willing to do. The supply issues may not just be there either, we really don't know. I took Jensen Huang's statement "it's not a supply issue" more to mean that there isn't a **** thing that NVIDIA can do about the problem.

That may mean that they believe the supply issue is a short term one, not a long term one. Even saying that card availability will be **** through early 2021 doesn't change that. Initial demand is high. It may drop off some when AMD's RX6000 series launches. That's almost a given. More than that, the 5 month window of poor availability isn't likely to be uniformly poor. That is, we are in the worst of it now and it should be better by mid Q1 2021. Past that, the demand should taper off going towards the middle to end of 2021 where availability might be projected to be adequate for the demand.
I agree, production capacity is a big part of things. They want to produce/sell as much as they are able to. But they know their capacity already (unless it's way short of expectations, but if that's the case, they knew this before launch anyways) and they must have had a reasonable idea on demand... even if they missed by 2x projections (aka, they thought demand would be 1/2 of what it was), then they were still way short and it would have been a "cardboard" launch (a new term I'm calling it, it wasn't paper, but it sure wasn't much better) ;). They absolutely knew this was what was going to happen. Surge in demand at launch is known, which is why you build up some stock before releasing. They really don't care, and why should they, even with all these fiasco's you still see people F5ing daily trying to buy them.
I agree that it will be "short term", but short is still relative as well, 3-4 months is a pretty long time for a supply shortage when you do refreshes every 12 months. I don't think you'll see much demand drop when the RX 6000 drops, most people aren't going to change there mind, a few people will, but not a huge amount to make much difference. I don't know what exactly the issue is, but the rumors are Samsung isn't getting as good of #'s as expected/hoped which is leaving NVIDIA in a bad spot. They can't meet demand, but they can't just wait forever for stock to build up either. That said, they absolutely timed the 3070 delay on purpose, they are going to try everything they can to mitigate damage and releasing the day after AMD's announcement is just that.

Become a Patron!
Back