3dfx Interactive Confirms That It’ll “Discuss New Hardware” Very Soon

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
3dfx-interactive-logo-black-bg-1024x576.jpg
Image: 3dfx Interactive

3dfx Interactive, an essentially dead graphics cards company, stirred quite a bit of commotion last week when it made a tweet from its official Twitter account indicating that it would be making some sort of comeback after having all of assets acquired by NVIDIA two decades ago. While some of the more pessimistic enthusiasts are convinced that this is just a bad joke that will result in no real payoff, 3dfx Interactive shared a new message today confirming that the team will be discussing new hardware. The team will also be explaining what it’ll be doing over the next 12 months. 3dfx Interactive’s announcement is set for this Thursday, August 5.

20 years later, the wait is finally over. Our team will discuss new hardware, goals for the next twelve months, and many exciting announcements this Thursday...

Continue reading...

It has to be true, I read it on Twitter..... :unsure:

I'm just happy there are sites like this to give me the "important" twitter news since I'll not be cought dead on that POS.

If they want to ann,ounce something new maybe they should also start using new art iso old, makes for a bad half assed impression.

Yeah, there is no way this is not total bs.

If there is absolutely anything real to it at all.

First off, Nvidia owns everything 3dfx. So at most this could be a GM-style badge engineering job, launching a line of existing Nvidia designs under a new name. They may have had a reason to do this back when they first bought the remaining 3dfx assets, but today the 3dfx brand just isn't what it was, so I doubt it is happening, at least outside of some small marketing/publicity stunt.

Second, lets assume someone somehow was able to get the 3dfx branding out from under Nvidia somehow. This industry has way too huge barriers to entry for some small startup using the 3dfx name to come out with an upset. Nvidia and AMD's current designs at this point benefit from decades of development and incremental refinement to get where they are, executed by large teams of highly skilled electrical engineers, software engineers and many others. The time to come out of the gate with a stunning upset was 20 years ago. Today it is simply too late and too costly.

Intel might be able to pull that off with their new line of discrete GPU's, but even they are starting small, low to mid range, but they are also a $80bn company with 110,000 employees.

So, the tldr version is, this is guaranteed to be either:
a) a complete hoax
b) an Nvidia publicity stunt
c) some scoundrel somehow getting their hands on the 3dfx brand and using it for rebranded cheap TV's from china, or something like that.

And with that I've already dedicated more time to this than I ever wanted to.

There is nothing to this as 3DFX was absorbed into NVIDIA. NVIDIA likely won't do anything with the name as it's had more than a decade to do something with the name and never has.

I'm just happy there are sites like this to give me the "important" twitter news since I'll not be cought dead on that POS.

If they want to ann,ounce something new maybe they should also start using new art iso old, makes for a bad half assed impression.
Vintage my friend. I'm sure whatever new design they could come up with people would hate it.

There is nothing to this as 3DFX was absorbed into NVIDIA. NVIDIA likely won't do anything with the name as it's had more than a decade to do something with the name and never has.
I recall during an interview with an nvidia rep (I think it was PCper), a few years after the buyout, he claimed that technology wise, it was a bad deal for nvidia as by then nvidia technology was much more advanced and virutally nothing from 3dfx was incorporated into nvidia later designs. The best thing nvidia got was the engineering teams, patents and the SLI brand.

"...and will expand into other products relating to smartphones, smart TVs and sound systems..."

WTF? So who knows they might be slapping the brand on all kinds of random crap.

Probably bring back Voodoo 3 to help alleviate the gpu shortage.

Maybe some adult toys....

Could be anything, but at least they have a brand name already covered as they slap it on Chinese merchandise.

Hey don't you knock my 3dfx USB coffee warmer slash desk fan.

Become a Patron!
Back