3DMark Scores Suggest PS5 Is Four Times More Powerful than PS4

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
The PlayStation 5 is rumored to incorporate an AMD APU codenamed "Gonzalo." According to a 3DMark Fire Strike Test spotted by APISAK, it will provide a four-fold increase from the current-generation console: PS4 only scored 5000, while Gonzalo managed a score of over 20000.

The implication is that the PS5 could be more powerful than many of today's high-end GPUs. SegmentNext puts things into perspective:
  • RTX 2070 — 18,103
  • VEGA 64 — 19,200
  • GTX 1080 — 19,370
  • PS5 Gonzalo — 20,000+
  • RTX 2080 21,892
While APISAK has a credible reputation it is still best to take these PlayStation 5 benchmarks with a grain of salt. We are more than a year away from the release date of Sony’s next gen console. During this time many changes and adjustments will be made to the hardware. It is highly unlikely that PS5 and Xbox Scarlett specs are locked down at this stage.

Wasn't MS saying that Scarlett will be 4x as powerful as the One X too?

I have a feeling that no matter how much more powerful the console is, the games won't look all that much better. I think we started hitting significant diminishing returns for graphics starting with this current generation.

I ~can~ tell the difference between the PS3 and PS4 in terms of graphics, but it's not typically huge. Other items, particularly the additional RAM, made more of an impact that additional computing power.

I can't really tell the difference between the PS4 and PS4 Pro at all while playing. Sure every now and then a little something, but it's not a stark day-and-night difference that has been enabled by the addition of more computing power, even in games that "support" 4K.

Sure, maybe we finally get native 4K rendering, but sitting back on my couch, I can't tell a big difference between 1080 and 4K. Sure, there's a difference, but it's not like going from Cirrus Logic to 3dfx Voodoo difference.

PS1 to PS2 was a big leap. PS2 to PS3 was probably the biggest jump. I don't think this will be anywhere near as big as either of those jumps.

A few things:

1.) Consoles usually over promise and under deliver.

2.) These numbers seem ridiculous considering AMD can't even seem to deliver something like this on the desktop right now.

3.) Consoles have a tighter thermal envelope and cost target that high end PC's do.

4.) The PS5 is still probably a ways off. November 2020?

Unless the PS5 is a $1500 console, I just don't see this happening.

So, while I question them being able to deliver performance almost on par with a 2080 at console prices. And even if they can, it will be in November 2020, when we will have moved on to whatever the next generation is or the one following it. So, at launch the PS5 will still be a generation or two behind the PC platform at launch.

Become a Patron!
Back