4080 (or 4090) that's shorter than 310mm?

MadMummy76

FPS Junkie
Simple question, does such a card exist?

And if not, is it worth upgrading from a 2080Ti to a 4070? I'm not sure, and I did not find any benchmarks that offered a direct comparison on how much of an improvement that would be. I'm deliberately not considering the 4070Ti, as I find the price difference not worth it for the extra performance offered by the Ti.

Edit: I found a comparison and I concluded it is not worth to upgrade to a 4070. Raster performance is barely if at all improved, it only gets some uplift in RT and or using framegen, which is BS.

Last edited:
AFAIK the RTX4080FE is the shortest card at precisely 310mm

Not sure what access you might have to Asian markets but there's a chance of something different there. I don't remember of any offhand but I know there's all kinds of custom models released there that we never see in the U.S.

Not sure what access you might have to Asian markets but there's a chance of something different there. I don't remember of any offhand but I know there's all kinds of custom models released there that we never see in the U.S.
Yea I think asian markets MIGHT have even more inflated prices than US markets right now.

Thanks, but for something this expensive I want warranty to be local.
It's a rough time in the US to want a 4080 or 4090. Scalpers are all over the cards... and they are almost inflated by 1k at this point. (I say that knowing you're not in the US.)

I forgot about the Noctua models, yep they are shorter but thicker as well, and yep the price is higher plus once scalpers tack on their crap it's no longer worth it. Man, I can't believe we're back with this crap again (scalping).

I forgot about the Noctua models, yep they are shorter but thicker as well, and yep the price is higher plus once scalpers tack on their crap it's no longer worth it. Man, I can't believe we're back with this crap again (scalping).
Just basically attach the Asus name to any card and it jumps up in price. I 100% agree with you that this crap with scalping is getting old.

So I got the ASUS Proart, even this took some clever logistics to squeeze in the case, so I'm glad I didn't choose anything bigger. Officially the case supports up to 312mm.

However the cooling on this card seems wonky. I mean like it is not properly contacting the GPU or something. During gaming GPU temp jumps to 84 degrees immediately, and the fans go to full blow right away. But there is barely any heat eminating from my case. With the 2080ti, the GPU was in the 60s and a lot more heat was coming from the case.

After further testing it only seems to do it in Cyberpunk 2077, not while doing productivity or in other games. Actually in other games it is quieter than my 2080ti was. But the lack of exhaust heat still strikes me as odd.

I've noticed with a number of air-cooled cards in recent years, I've had a bunch so it's hard for me to point out one in particular, that is seems like more air is getting pushed out the sides of the heatsink in the case than out the rear. I've never measured it but sure doesn't seem like a whole of lot air pressure back there when the fans are cranked.

Yeah, CP2077 will push a card with all the bells and whistles that's been crammed into it.

I've noticed with a number of air-cooled cards in recent years, I've had a bunch so it's hard for me to point out one in particular, that is seems like more air is getting pushed out the sides of the heatsink in the case than out the rear.
I kinda thought that was the entire point, unless you specifically got a blower-style cooler. Quieter, but dumps most of the heat inside the case rather than exhausting it out the back, whereas a blower would be louder, but all of the heat exits the rear vents.

I kinda thought that was the entire point, unless you specifically got a blower-style cooler. Quieter, but dumps most of the heat inside the case rather than exhausting it out the back, whereas a blower would be louder, but all of the heat exits the rear vents.
Kind of but I seem to remember more air pressure on my previous cards. My last blower-style card was an ATI Radeon but I totally remember things being a bit warm behind my Strix OC 1080 Ti/2080 Ti cards. None of this is scientific and just perception so comes down to pure speculation but it seems like if they're going to put a grill there something should still be getting exhausted from it.

Regardless of the type of cooler the heat needs to exit the case somehow, otherwise it would just get heat soaked and overheat everything inside. My old card also dumped the heat everywhere.
01.jpg
I can only assume the new one is worse at transferring the heat from the GPU to the heatsink. I'm tempted to try and remove the cooler and fit it again, IDK if that's a fool's errand or not.

I can only assume the new one is worse at transferring the heat from the GPU to the heatsink. I'm tempted to try and remove the cooler and fit it again, IDK if that's a fool's errand or not.
I've never done it have heard that it can sometimes make a difference to redo the past. Igor's done posts about replacing the pads helping as well. Also something I've never done but his testing showed upwards of 10c in decreased temps.

Become a Patron!
Back