4930K now in push-pull

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
I had a CPU fan crap out on my old 4930K (@ 4.3 GHz) rig in the cave last week. I ordered a pair of new ones, took the mount off my old 2600K Hyper 212, and set up the 4930K in push-pull. It's the first time I've done that. It was not necessarily a huge drop in temps, but they maintained during stress tests and gaming in a room that I let get upwards of 80 degrees yesterday. CPU mostly held 50-60c and during 3d mark, it peaked at 68c in the CPU test. I'm guessing it must have had some thermal throttling issues going on that I never attributed(because I hardly ever saw it go above 65c in gaming) but things were much smoother with Horizon Zero Dawn yesterday and that game is majorly CPU-intensive.

Those old chips still pack enough punch to play games.. My son has my old 4970 that is still kicking and screaming as his main rig.
Yeah, thanks to the overclock, the 4930K still has some life left in it. I finally, after bringing it out of retirement many times, put the 2600K to rest last year. I doubt I'll ever see another processor like it in my lifetime.

Yeah, thanks to the overclock, the 4930K still has some life left in it. I finally, after bringing it out of retirement many times, put the 2600K to rest last year. I doubt I'll ever see another processor like it in my lifetime.
Hmm, I don't know. The pace at which just about everything advances is slowing way down. I mean, we are still on Moore's law, but only just barely.

I think we've definitely hit the point where stuff is "fast enough" for most everyday use, and we are just accelerating corner and niche cases (of which I'd include gaming)

I think we've definitely hit the point where stuff is "fast enough" for most everyday use
That's how I feel about the RTX 3090(the same can be said for a 3080 Ti). For 4K gaming, if using DLSS on its best settings, these cards can easily hold 60 FPS for most games in 4K and sometimes upwards of 120 FPS. Even without it, there are plenty of demanding games that it can do ~60 FPS with, or really close to at the highest settings. I'm for sure skipping the 3090 Ti and at this point, I have doubts as to whether or not I even will want a 4090(although it sounds like a beast of card).

This 4930K rig will likely be retired in a year or two. I am considering upgrading my main rig with that new 5800X3D in the holidays and there's a chance I might get another motherboard and RAM so I can move the 3700X into the cave.

Become a Patron!
Back