6G Will Offer Theoretical Speeds of Up to 1 TB a Second (8,000 Times Faster than 5G)

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
network-block-earth-chain-globe-1024x576.jpg
Image: Gerd Altmann/Pixabay

5G deployment has barely begun, but China is already looking at its inevitable successor. Researchers with the Ministry of Science and Technology have started studying 6G, which is supposed to offer ludicrous speeds.

Just how fast can this next-generation wireless network go? Well, the University of Sydney’s Dr. Mahyar Shirvanimoghaddam claims that its theoretical speed is a rather insane one terabyte a second. That’s around 8,000 times faster than what 5G is capable of.

Assuming that expert’s estimate is accurate, 6G would allow users to download almost thirteen of today’s biggest 4K movie rips (~80 GB) in a single second. That’s arguably overkill for the average mobile user, but these speeds would be very nice for mobile and fixed...

Continue reading...

Yea I went as deep as two levels into the french articles covering this. I suspect that 6g bandwidth will be available bandwidth for all of the users at the tower. Like a HUB it will be a shared bandwidth experience. (Or like Wifi if you're one of the new kids, that high speed wifi that you have all of your buddies on. Yea divide it's bandwidth by all of your buddies on the same wifi network. That's your real speed after interference.)

Plus to get this to work you would need devices that can handle that kind of throughput throught the entire chain not just at the tower and end user level.

Though this would mean you can cram a LOT more users on a single tower. So I expect the cellular carriers will be ALL OVER this.

Yeah! Maybe SpaceX Starlink will do 6G and I can for once and for all get rid of the dreadful Comcast!

Become a Patron!
Back