Samuel L. Jackson Dismisses Criticism of Superhero Films: “Movies Are Movies”

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Were Martin Scorsese and Francis Ford Coppola right about Marvel films not being cinema? Hell no, muthaf*cka, says Samuel L. Jackson.

Go to post

I guess he should know, dude has been in a metric sh!t-ton of movies. Some good, some bad. I don't know if he's pulling Nick Cage or Bruce Willis numbers (via the direct to video shovelware category).

edit - imdb shows Sam at 197, Nick at 109, John McClane at 146. OTOH looking at Sam's titles there are some TV shows on there that I don't see for the other 2. But if you put all three of these dudes together, I bet you are no more than 1 or 2 people separated from every movie every made (aka the Kevin Bacon thing)

I guess he should know, dude has been in a metric sh!t-ton of movies. Some good, some bad. I don't know if he's pulling Nick Cage or Bruce Willis numbers (via the direct to video shovelware category).

edit - imdb shows Sam at 197, Nick at 109, John McClane at 146. OTOH looking at Sam's titles there are some TV shows on there that I don't see for the other 2. But if you put all three of these dudes together, I bet you are no more than 1 or 2 people separated from every movie every made (aka the Kevin Bacon thing)
This post lead me here -

Some real surprises. Not sure how accurate it is, but it's in good fun.

Danny Trejo? Wow.

Jackson was the only of the mentioned 3 that made the list (coming in at #10 - 174 movies)

If you want to test the theory, there is a website for that, on a single search basis:

Edit:
Turns out, looking at that page a little more, Samuel L Jackson is listed on the “center of the Hollywood universe pages directly.

If you want to test the theory, there is a website for that, on a single search basis:

Edit:
Turns out, looking at that page a little more, Samuel L Jackson is listed on the “center of the Hollywood universe pages directly.
Oh man this rabbit hole goes deep

It took me a bit, but I found my first infinity - someone credited in a movie with no connection to Kevin bacon

Whatever.

I don't personally care for superhero films. They require too much suspense of disbelief for me. I like more realistic films.

But to each their own. If other people want to watch them, why should Scorcese or Coppola care?

Not everything is for everyone, and that is OK. As my mother used to say, that's why they make both chocolate and vanilla!

Sure I like some superhero films but also some comedy, drama, action, mystery, horror, sci-fi, fantasy, CGI films, traditional animation, and very rarely some anime. The whole schtick about one form not being counted as an actual film is hogwash to me. Back in the 90s I really started watching a lot of films from Asia and it was routinely brought up how in the west there's some strange need to focus on a single category while there are many films that can successfully blend many genres into one.

A movie I enjoy or engages me is what I consider good but I try not to hold the rest of the world to those standards. A lot of the things I like are considered garbage by paid reviewers while the stuff they praise I often consider to be no-brainer pretentious pieces draped in something so it can be called art.

Danny Trejo? Wow.
Yeah, that guy has a way of popping up all over the place. Always fun to see him when he does.

Just wanted to add another thought on this. There seems to be some confusion among filmmakers that just because they consider a project to be art it automatically equates to some kind of success that should draw crowds. We've seen numerous directors complain about the poor numbers for their 'art' and how superhero movies have ruined the industry while selective memory kicks in totally ignoring how the industry saw plummeting revenue from the mid to late 80s on. Their 'art' wasn't saving it.

It reminds me of the many people I've known and occasionally been one myself, who own either collector's comics, records, or cars. Those collectible prices only matter when you have someone willing to pay it. Well, it's the same for movies. Just because a filmmaker, or reviewer, or some kind of peer group like the academy, places a value on their creation doesn't mean that value is shared with everyone else.

Become a Patron!
Back