Bill for Making Daylight Saving Time Permanent Passes Senate

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
Tired of losing that hour of sleep every year on the second Sunday of March? That nightmare may finally be coming to an end.

Go to post

Wow... I love how when we have a war in Ukraine and possibility of war with Russia Looming (Hi Cold war again!) we can pass a bill about daylight savings time.

They have been talking about that in Europe for years now and they still wouldn't follow through.

Wow... I love how when we have a war in Ukraine and possibility of war with Russia Looming (Hi Cold war again!) we can pass a bill about daylight savings time.
I hear ya and don't disagree, but I really wish this would get done as well.

If this does pass (I hope it does), how many systems will have to be patched to eliminate the time change?

Seems to me it would be a straight forward patch. Just like when the DST dates were modified.
Every alarm clock in the house and the coffee pot all change time on the wrong date now. No way to patch them, but not worth replacing either.

I have to say, I don’t look forward to taking the kids to school in the dark Nov - Feb either

I have to say, I don’t look forward to taking the kids to school in the dark Nov - Feb either

That's valid. I just want it to stop, I don't really care which direction it stops in.

Or we could do something wacky and split the difference.... 30 mins?

That's valid. I just want it to stop, I don't really care which direction it stops in.
Yup. So long as it stops. There's nothing stopping the school from pushing back class start times to 9am or something if driving in the dark were an issue - but then you are going to contend with it probably getting dark on the way home.

I grew up in Indiana, and at the time, we didn't change our clocks. It was just accepted that in the Winter it would be dark in the morning. And dark when you got home. Didn't really matter if you shifted the clock or not, it was just going to get dark. But changing the clock because... I still don't know why ... that's ludicrous to me.

Yup. So long as it stops. There's nothing stopping the school from pushing back class start times to 9am or something if driving in the dark were an issue - but then you are going to contend with it probably getting dark on the way home.

I grew up in Indiana, and at the time, we didn't change our clocks. It was just accepted that in the Winter it would be dark in the morning. And dark when you got home. Didn't really matter if you shifted the clock or not, it was just going to get dark. But changing the clock because... I still don't know why ... that's ludicrous to me.
When there are mountains on the horizon, winter days get even shorter. Winter is going to suck, regardless of how the clock is set.

Overall, I'd rather have the sunlight when I'm leaving work or on my own time, not when I'm heading to work.

Overall, I'd rather have the sunlight when I'm leaving work or on my own time, not when I'm heading to work.

Yes I would think resturants and other consumer facing businesses would be happy, as people are more inclined to go do things when it's not pitch black by 6-7pm. Morning darkness kinda blows, but going to work/school is a have to, not a want to type of action. I still think they could split the difference and just do 30 mins.

Become a Patron!
Back