A “New Version” of X-Files Is In Development at Disney, Produced by Black Panther Director Ryan Coogler

The real "adjustments for modern audiences" made to Battlestar Galactica really have little to do with making starbuck a Woman.

The big ones, from original to remix that stand out off the top of my head - there are certainly more that I'll think of after I click post:

-Adjusted everyone's attitudes to match the reality of the situation. Galactica is shepherding the remains of their entire civilization with everyone else wiped out (spoiler, Pegasus excluded). The setup for the series is basically yields the darkest possible setting - defated and on the run from an enemy that is intent on entirely wiping out the whole civilization. Everyone is supposed to be drunk on the verge of mental breakdown, not the happy 70s vibe the original series had.

-To that point, they made Galactica more like a real ship that really fought a lower tech war against the Cylons.

-Dropped Boxy as a character. No little kid tagging around with an ultra high tech robo dog (can you say cylon bait?) to be captured by aliens that needs to be rescued.

-Added tremendous depth to Gaius Baltar from being just purely evil betrayer of his entire species to an arrogant genius that is covering his *** for letting the Cylons into the defense grid. He then just keeps rolling with the situation to gain whatever power he can.

-Added plausible explination as to how the Cylons gained access and wiped out the colonials with much more human models. Furthermore, the only person likely capable of identifying the humanoid cylons (Gaius) has plenty of **** good reasons not to.

-Tossed a bunch of the silly outfits, terms, and names. It got a lot more "real" and gritty by tossing that legacy stuff.

-Cylons tech use makes a lot more sense. For example, the cylon fighters aren't just robots piloting fighters, but are actually robots themselves.

-Dropped the whole bascially unbelievable Starbuck and Apollo bros hitting on all the women theme, and dropped the women characters that bascially existed in the original show just to be beautiful (ex: Athena)

-Dropped the Disco soundtrack and made it a lot more environmental

I do not care if the story connects to the original or not, nor do I give a **** about some mental gymnastics justifying gender changes in television. There are cases where gender changes actually work well in remakes of shows, but this wasn't one of them. That would have worked if they actually wrote the character to act like a woman and not a man. Nu-BSG takes from the modern school of writing strong female characters. Essentially, those come in two flavors.

1.) Don't write a female character at all. Simply write a male character and cast a female actor in the lead. Name changes are optional.
2.) Have your female lead by likable by every character in the show no matter how unlikable or insufferable they actually are. Then, have them berate and cuck every man around her. She's automatically going to be the best at everything all the while tearing down her male colleagues which are all bumbling retards anyway.

Nu-BSG went with option 1 as opposed to the 13th Doctor in Doctor Who which was clearly option 2.
You clearly never watched it, because the Starbuck character cannot be boiled down like that.

So, it's clear you are either regurgitating some opinion found elsewhere or talking out of an orifice not designed to talk.
...Having a strong female character isn't "woke" on its own...

...Rey is a Mary Sue. She has ZERO personality. She shows no growth because she never fails. She never has to overcome anything. She beats Kylo Ren in their first encounter thus making sure that there are no stakes for any additional confrontations with him. The character is a static, overpowered self-insert for the writers...
So ****ty writing = woke?

I think it was ****ty writing being ****ty writing.
Oh, there is wokeness in those dogshit films. However, that's actually the least of their problems. The writing is atrocious and nonsensical. Not to mention, contradicts established lore or ignores it entirely.

Again, most reboots are **** because they make changes to suit mythical "modern audiences" that don't exist. The woke **** is the prioritizing of specific ideologies over story or even facts in the case of some pseudo documentaries like the Netflix series on Cleopatra. Reboots often fail because the writers of the reboots do not understand the source material. They miss the essence of what made those shows endure the test of time and what made them popular. They fail because they make changes for all the wrong reasons.
Holly wood prefers sequels and reboots because putting 100 million dollars up for a movie is a big gamble. There are always some changes to make what might now be an outdated film into something relatable for younger audiences. That's the business of it. If you prefer the older show, just watch that. Seriously, no one is making you watch ANYTHING. Not saying they don't **** it up or make ****ty choices sometimes. Probably someone older trying to write for younger audiences. Don't worry, younger people grow up and take those writers jobs and it will be a fresh perspective more honestly told. Not disagreeing there has for sure been some crap writing.

Prioritizing ideologies??? Do you hear yourself talking. I can send a roll of aluminum foil if that will help.

..Except the wind only blows in one direction in hollywood. Away from heroic straight males.
Mmm can't say I agree with that. It's just no longer 100% straight white males.
It's kind of ironic that you mention media feeding anyone anything while reciting the woke narrative word for word. i.e. that those who complain about gender swaps and "strong female characters" are just insecure.
Woke narrative? Not sure what that is or how I fed it line for line. But someone complaining about strong female characters may indeed be insecure. I think there is a lot more of that than anyone realizes.
You can't tell the difference between a well written female character vs. the woke ones if you think Ripley in Alien is the same as gender swapped Starbuck. Woke "strong female leads" are basically male characters played by female actresses. They use male mannerisms, act tough, and even can hold their own in one v one hand to hand combat with men twice their size.
I think the Starbuck character was more interesting than that, absolutely not as flat as you are painting her to be.
An actual strong female character is not trying to mimic men, but for some reason woke writers think being strong = acting like men. It's almost as if they are the sexists.

A strong female character will use her feminine viles against men and manipulate them like a snake charmer.
I think they could take many forms, not simply the one you espouse, or just one playing a role written for a man.
These days an actual strong female character would freak out most woke ideologs. Because women can't be beautiful and feminine, and man can't be heroic and masculine anymore for some reason.
I don't believe that is true in the least. There are beautiful feminine female characters, heroic men as well.

I pussy male character =! the end of masculinity. And you shouldn't be painting men with that slim of a brush either.

If there is some variation in newer written characters, more power to them.

So ****ty writing = woke?
I know this wasn't aimed to me, but there is no equivalence there. Bad writing can exist without being woke, but being woke is almost a guarantee of bad writing.
I think it was ****ty writing being ****ty writing.
That is the norm, but one cannot help but notice that woke is a cause of bad writing and not just correlation.
I noticed the pattern before I even became aware of the woke mindset, or have heard the term. I just noticed the bad writing part first. But in hindsight all the common markers were there in the first woke piece of media I consumed. Which wasn't even a video game or a movie / tv show but a novel.
Probably someone older trying to write for younger audiences. Don't worry, younger people grow up and take those writers jobs and it will be a fresh perspective more honestly told. Not disagreeing there has for sure been some crap writing.

Prioritizing ideologies??? Do you hear yourself talking. I can send a roll of aluminum foil if that will help.
You sound like someone who has been living under a rock for the past few years. The exact problem is young writers who have been hired based on ideology right out of college, who have zero life experience trying to write stories.

Prioritizing ideology is not just an existing phenomenon, but mandated by investment companies that are providing credit lines for entertainment companies among many others.
Mmm can't say I agree with that. It's just no longer 100% straight white males.
So Sarah Connor, Ellen Ripley, Abigail Whistler etc. were all 100% straight males? What are you saying?
Woke narrative? Not sure what that is or how I fed it line for line. But someone complaining about strong female characters may indeed be insecure. I think there is a lot more of that than anyone realizes.
Calling fans insecure or manbabies or worse when complaining about bad writing is right out of their playbook. I love strong female characters, and hate bad writing.
I think the Starbuck character was more interesting than that, absolutely not as flat as you are painting her to be.
There has been much worse since, that's for sure.
I think they could take many forms, not simply the one you espouse, or just one playing a role written for a man.
They could, but when woke writers are in charge they take exactly one form: annoying girl bosses, who are more villainous that the actual villains.
I don't believe that is true in the least. There are beautiful feminine female characters, heroic men as well.
Have you seen the types of characters western video game devs have been putting in games recently? I have to go back at least 10 years to find beautiful feminine characters in mainline games, that aren't remakes of some sort.
I pussy male character =! the end of masculinity. And you shouldn't be painting men with that slim of a brush either.
I'm not painting anything I just observe. Every former heroic male character has to be humbled and disrespected somehow by girlbosses, and the recently failed suicide squad game is the peak of this pattern, and it seems the one that finally made gamers say enough is enough.
If there is some variation in newer written characters, more power to them.
We used to have variation, now there is none in things that cater to the woke ideology. Every female villain is just misunderstood, every male villain is incompetent, every male hero is a dunce, no man can be a mentor or protector to a woman. Women can't be shown to fail at anything, and therefore they can never grow as characters anymore. These rules make bad writing inevitable.

Last edited:
Become a Patron!
Back