A Direct Sequel to Cloverfield Is in the Works

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
cloverfield-key-art-cityline-1024x576.jpg
Image: Paramount Pictures

The Hollywood Reporter has learned that J.J. Abram’s and Matt Reeves’ found-footage monster hit, Cloverfield, is finally getting a direct sequel after 12 years. While two additional films with the Cloverfield name has been released thus far—2016’s 10 Cloverfield Lane and 2018’s The Cloverfield Paradox—neither of them continued the story of the original, which saw a group of New York City residents being attacked by a massive, quadrupedal alien monster.

“[Cloverfield] was made under-the-radar and used a viral marketing campaign to tease out interest,” The Hollywood Reporter explained. “The tactic worked: The movie, made for $25 million, had a massive opening weekend of $40 million and went on to gross $172 million...

Continue reading...

I didn't really like Cloverfiel much, and Cloverfield paradox sucked big time and didn't even seem to fit in the cloverfield universe, but 10 cloverfield lane was great. I'd rather have a sequel to it than the original.

I love monster movies but really, really, not into the docu/handy-cam approach to things. I swear it was the worst thing to ever happen after Blair Witch made it popular. Never made it all the way through the first one because of that. Basically gave every would-be filmmaker the sense they could run around spastically to create emotional investment into scenes. Feels like the camera person is having a seizure.

Paradox was just hard to get through, typical Netflix/streaming pacing issues but I liked the ending. I agree that 10 Cloverfield lane was the best but that also had a lot to do with John Goodman.

I enjoyed this movie when it came out but I also enjoyed the viral campaign. YouTube was in its infancy in 2007 when it was going on but there were still a couple channels that were analyzing the trailer, breaking things down and predicting what the monster was actually gonna be. I couldn't wait. It had so much potential. One of the coolest roars ever and that scene of the Statue of Libetry's head being thrown down the street with claw marks was just awesome!

Then the movie came out and you never got to see the monster and all the scenes made you seasick from all the shaking and bouncing.

I watched it once at the theater and then bought it on DVD and it's OK but I haven't watched it on 10 years and don't feel the desire to.

That said I'd go see a sequel. Maybe this would actually be a monster movie and not a darker version of a Friends episode.

I enjoyed this movie when it came out but I also enjoyed the viral campaign. YouTube was in its infancy in 2007 when it was going on but there were still a couple channels that were analyzing the trailer, breaking things down and predicting what the monster was actually gonna be. I couldn't wait. It had so much potential. One of the coolest roars ever and that scene of the Statue of Libetry's head being thrown down the street with claw marks was just awesome!

Then the movie came out and you never got to see the monster and all the scenes made you seasick from all the shaking and bouncing.

I watched it once at the theater and then bought it on DVD and it's OK but I haven't watched it on 10 years and don't feel the desire to.

That said I'd go see a sequel. Maybe this would actually be a monster movie and not a darker version of a Friends episode.
I recall my wife actually got sick becuase of the camera, she had to go to the lobby for a while. then we moved to the back of the theather where she fell asleep. Months later she got to see it on the TV, but she really didn't like it either.

BTW Cloverfield Lane is a great movie and it stands on its own, the cloverfield twist is just a side story, could had been zombies or last woman on earth, vampires, transformers, planet of the apes or whatever, and the movie would still be great.

I recall my wife actually got sick becuase of the camera, she had to go to the lobby for a while. then we moved to the back of the theather where she fell asleep. Months later she got to see it on the TV, but she really didn't like it either.

BTW Cloverfield Lane is a great movie and it stands on its own, the cloverfield twist is just a side story, could had been zombies or last woman on earth, vampires, transformers, planet of the apes or whatever, and the movie would still be great.

For me that movie was a bad *** backstory for a main character going forward. You known how everyone gets together in survival movies and says how they got there. That's her story...

You did get to see the monster. Maybe it's time for you to rewatch the movie.

You did get to see the monster. Maybe it's time for you to rewatch the movie.

To be fair it was like a 20 second clip showing a shot of the monster... it reminded me of a "maggot" monster from palladium games conversion book 1 I believe. A demon.

To be fair it was like a 20 second clip showing a shot of the monster... it reminded me of a "maggot" monster from palladium games conversion book 1 I believe. A demon.
It's more than that. The shot at the end is just its face, and Abrams didn't even want to put that shot into the movie.

It's more than that. The shot at the end is just its face, and Abrams didn't even want to put that shot into the movie.
Yeah, I never even made it to the end. I'm pretty sure I've seen some screen caps somewhere though. I vaguely remember seeing some stuff at the very end of Paradox but I did have that one on in the background while doing things on the PC.

Become a Patron!
Back