A New NVIDIA SHIELD TV Appears to Be on the Way

Tsing

The FPS Review
Staff member
If you're thinking about buying a SHIELD TV, be patient, as indication of a new model has surfaced on Google Play Console. Android TV Rumors spotted the console, which is codenamed "mdarcy."

The specifications are largely consistent with the current SHIELD TV, but some believe it could sport a new version of the Tegra X1 processor.

The current SHIELD uses a T210 version of the Tegra X1 and there has been suggestions NVIDIA is working on a newer version referred to as the “T210 B01.” For reference, the current SHIELD is understood to use an “A2” version of the T210 instead of the “B01.”

Speculation has also pointed to this tweaked version also powering a revised version of the Nintendo Switch. Although there’s a little bit of discrepancy on this point due to just as many references pointing to a new T214 chip codenamed “mariko” - understood to be a fork of the T210. Much of the speculation links mariko as a custom version of the chip designed specifically for Nintendo.

Switch will certainly receive a new hardware, as it is breached beyond repair by Tegra vulnerabilities.
After that, Shield TV will either be EOLed or receive the new Tegra chip.

It's too bad they didn't license an agreement with Nintendo to make their own version of the Switch. Like what Nintendo had with Panasonic and the Gamecube (the Panasonic Q, iirc).

I'd be on board for a premium Switch/Shield TV that could play GeforceNOW titles, improved media functionality, and Switch titles.

It's too bad they didn't license an agreement with Nintendo to make their own version of the Switch. Like what Nintendo had with Panasonic and the Gamecube (the Panasonic Q, iirc).

I'd be on board for a premium Switch/Shield TV that could play GeforceNOW titles, improved media functionality, and Switch titles.

Wasn't the GameCube powered by ATi?

Yup, can't remember the name of it (dolphin or Hollywood, maybe). Panasonic Q was basically a fancy Gamecube that also had a functioning DVD drive (iirc).

I know DolphinDrive was associated to the GameCube back in the day in some form. I think maybe that was an internal name when there was originally plans to add a disc drive to the N64 with the big serial port in the bottom of the consoles?
Digging back far in the brain for that one, lol

Become a Patron!
Back