Adidas Earns $23 Million with Its First NFT Drop

Peter_Brosdahl

Staff member
adidas-nft-logo-blue-cropped-1024x576.jpg
Image: Adidas

Adidas Originals has completed its first-ever NFT minting event, “Into the Metaverse.” The event was held on December 17. The Block has reported that Adidas netted over $23 million from it.

Adidas Originals began its Early Access minting stage on December 17, in which holders of an Adidas Originals proof-of-attendance protocol (“POAP,” which are given to attendees of virtual or physical events), gmoney POAP, a BAYC or Mutant Ape Yacht Club NFT or a Pixel Wallet NFT gained entry.

Into the Metaverse is a collaborative NFT project between adidas Originals and NFT pioneers gmoney, Bored Ape Yacht Club and PUNKS Comic. An NFT co-created with the OG communities, creators and doers.

The Into the Metaverse NFT digital collectible grants holders access to:PhysicalExclusive adidas Originals, gmoney, Bored Ape Yacht Club and PUNKS Comic...

Continue reading...

I would like to know who the morons who are actually buying this **** are.

Like, what is wrong with people?

We really need to band together and clearly state:

- NFT's are not acceptable
- Loot boxes are not acceptable
- Tradeable items are not acceptable
- No microtransactions are acceptable

The ONLY revenue a game company should be allowed to seek is the initial game sale. Any other attempt at raising revenue should be boycotted.

It's the fools who are giving in to this **** that are making the industry worse. You really can't blame the industry for going where the money is. You have to blame the people rewarding them for it.

The worst part is that this will encourage others to do the same. And quite frankly I can't blame companies in a capitalist society. Their only goal is to make profits. It is the lawmakers who should realize that we are driving towards a cliff and the car was just kicked into overdrive.

First, let's stop this snitz about "band together" BS because if most of you did that, we would not have all this woke snitz in games/media today!

Two, who dafaq are you to tell me and others what to do in a capitalist market?! Know your role and STAY in your lane!

Three, there is a market for NFTs but only for none destroying eco tokens minting proof-of-stake, for ONLY certain venues.

Four, NO NFTs should be injected in games but if you're using that to mask an already hatred for Epic, well, band Microsoft, etc., and GAMES FOR WINDOWS, because MS allows these sales already.

Five, there is room for EXTRA NEW content expansions to be added to games, but not the content that was deliberately held back to tax us more for it.

*mic drop*

First, let's stop this snitz about "band together" BS because if most of you did that, we would not have all this woke snitz in games/media today!
Have to kind of agree with GunShot, isn't that the definition of the Cancel Club just "people banding together"?

Two, who dafaq are you to tell me and others what to do in a capitalist market?! Know your role and STAY in your lane!

Three, there is a market for NFTs but only for none destroying eco tokens minting proof-of-stake, for ONLY certain venues.

Four, NO NFTs should be injected in games but if you're using that to mask an already hatred for Epic, well, band Microsoft, etc., and GAMES FOR WINDOWS, because MS allows these sales already.

Five, there is room for EXTRA NEW content expansions to be added to games, but not the content that was deliberately held back to tax us more for it.

*mic drop*
1. Nobody should band together, they should have the processing power in their peanut of a brain to realize that it is their individual moral obligation to not partake in this lunacy because of the long term consequences.
2. Being free to do as you will doesn't mean free from scrutiny.
3. Saying eco friendly NFTs is like saying, WE ARE going to burn down the forest, but we are going to use the most eco friendly flamethrowers to do it.
4. NFTs are worse than anything Epic has done thus far. It was all games until now, with NFTs it's no longer just about gamers. If you didn't hate epic until now NFTs should be the reason to start doing so, even if you are not a gamer.
5. That problem is hardly new to NFTs as it existed long before this idiocy.

Have to kind of agree with GunShot, isn't that the definition of the Cancel Club just "people banding together"?
That's why I hate the term "review bombing" or "dislike campaigns" because people expressing their disapproval of something is not a coordinated attack, it's individuals wanting their voices to be heard. And disliking a public post is one of the last avenues left for that.

Cancel culture is much more evil, because that is a concentrated effort to destroy people's livelihoods, and ruin their lives for expressing the "wrong" opinions even years ago.

Disliking a company PR video, is not aimed at an individual, it is aimed at some company policy or announcement. It is against an idea not a person or group.

The ONLY revenue a game company should be allowed to seek is the initial game sale. Any other attempt at raising revenue should be boycotted.
I don't mind some DLC for games, especially if it is a sizeable addition to the game like Witcher 3 or borderlands, it also encourages companies to maintain their games longer.

I don't mind some DLC for games, especially if it is a sizeable addition to the game like Witcher 3 or borderlands, it also encourages companies to maintain their games longer.
So let's call them expansion packs then.

So let's call them expansion packs then.
Who gives a **** what you call them? They used to call them expansion packs when you had to buy them in the store and install or run them off a CD. Then we got broadband internet and now you can download the content from a server somewhere. The DLC name sort of makes sense given how we acquire the content now.

Who gives a **** what you call them? They used to call them expansion packs when you had to buy them in the store and install or run them off a CD. Then we got broadband internet and now you can download the content from a server somewhere. The DLC name sort of makes sense given how we acquire the content now.

DLC is fine if it is DLC in the traditional expansion pack sense, where you are essentially buying a whole new story game based in the engine and universe of the original. You are essentially buying more story, and maps, and maybe some more items. Expectations are that it should be cheaper per hour of provided gameplay than the original due to the development savings based on being able to reuse a lot of the original game assets.

I have enjoyed several titles like this. Most recent one was probably Dying Light. The original was good. The "The Following" expansion was decent too (not quite as good as the original though)

The problem starts when you have this situation:

(Insert DLC meme of your choice. This was the first one on Google for me)

1640104493746.png

Because then it would be easy to differentiate between inconsequential garbage and actual content. As far back as mass effect 2 I had trouble deciding which DLC added story content and which was not worth buying. You had to do research. If we call the actual worthwhile expansions, well expansions, and purchaseable content that add one new weapon or skin DLCs Then it would be pretty straightforward to differentiate them.

I don't mind if they call them downloadable expansion, or even DLC expansion, just make it clear that something adds content that you can play through and not just supplemental things.

Because then it would be easy to differentiate between inconsequential garbage and actual content. As far back as mass effect 2 I had trouble deciding which DLC added story content and which was not worth buying. You had to do research. If we call the actual worthwhile expansions, well expansions, and purchaseable content that add one new weapon or skin DLCs Then it would be pretty straightforward to differentiate them.

I don't mind if they call them downloadable expansion, or even DLC expansion, just make it clear that something adds content that you can play through and not just supplemental things.
Seriously? It was clear to me what was what in the Mass Effect 2 days. I've never bought a single piece of DLC and thought I was getting something playable, versus cosmetic.

Become a Patron!
Back